Where do all the Dead Dragonflys go?

wilomn

No One of Consequence
I was at the dogpark today and there were SWARMS of dragonflys. I happen to be particularly fond of dragonflys, always have been and I tend to notice them when they're about.

There were veritable flying battalions of them today. They were beautiful, bright electric blue, deep ruby red, some with white and black, some tan, all gliding along, following the vagauries of wind that we don't even sense, they surf along on invisable waves, barely a flicker of doubled wings and course is changed, zip and flit and they're gone.

They're really cool predators as waterbound nymphs too. I think, not sure without checking, but I think that as adults they eat nothing at all, no mouth parts, which would be incredible considering the amounts of food they consume prior to an airebound existance.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you might know where they go when they die; their bodies I mean, don't know if they've got souls and that's a whole other conversation.

nwheat

I love dragonflies as well - we often have large groups like you're talking about hunting over our yard. I love to watch them zoom around. I also love to watch my son try to catch them. :) They are still predators as adults - they hunt small flying insects. My favorites here are the bright red ones, although I'm sure your electric blue ones would top them! I also think it is amazing that they've been around for hundreds of millions of years!!

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
We see a lot of them around the Koi pond, and find the nymphs zipping around in the water. I hope they're eating the mosquito larvae. Anyhow, we find quite a few dead ones in the pond at certain times of the year, so I wonder if they die after breeding?? Just a thought. Their bodies don't last long in the water with the hungry Koi though.

E

Euphoria

living in florida i always see dragon flys, they die by cars alot, i see them floating in my pool, floating in the lake, ive even seen some dead ones on my roof. i also have some really nice colors, electric blue, a really dark but beautiful red, and ive even seen some pitch black ones, and of course the normal gray and tan

Visit our friends