How to tell if your gecko is comfortable and ready to be handled?

Walter H. White

So just a question how do you tell if your Leo is comfortable with its environment and ready to be handled. we got a about a week ago and I keep telling the wife and kids to let her get settled and I am not to sure How much longer I can hold them off. ( Ok I cant lie I am die to hold the little beauty my self) she is a Juvie born in sept so she is alittle over 4 months and she seems to sleep a lot. Thanks all and have a great day =-)

tb144050

During daily maintenance (picking up poooh, refilling water, or feeding), you should be letting your Leo sniff your hand and check you out. IFFF it is not running away AND it seems a bit curious about your hand (sniffing/licking), then you might try picking it up.

Be careful to keep it away from dangerous heights (because it will be jumpy sometimes, especially at the beginning) and let it do the walking from hand-to-hand. It probably won't be still so just let it wander in your hands... Be a safe distance from soft surfaces under it, especially when it is time for you to "catch it" and put it back in the tank.

tb144050

and of course, don't catch it by its tail, like EVER..lol it'll discard its tail to escape you if it is scared enough.....and that's a bad thing, mm'kay..lol

Walter H. White

LOL ok that sounds about right but umm shes always sleeping and I know not to catch them by there tails I have an adult that we got from Friends I have just never owned one this young so I am not sure weather or not her sleeping a lot is normal or not. I meen ALOT and when she has been comeing out it is to lay on her rocks on her hot side. and she sleeps there too so when I do go into her tank it dosent phase her at all because well she is sleeping. hee hee lucky ducky. now I am sure she comes out at night.
so is It normal for her to sleep and not comeout when I go into her tank?

Tongue Flicker

Hardcore Animal Lover
Yes it is. My boy had an episode where he didn't come out of his hide for 4 days! Not even to poop, drink or eat. It was understandable though, this Dec-January our temps dropped to 64F lowest and that's from a tropical country that experiences 90F normally and we don't normally use heaters here so that was a cause of alarm for me

Visit our friends