Starting over

My gecko Will just died, and I just want to know if I have everything I needed in his house.
I have a
UTH
2 hides
plants(plastic)
water bowl
food dish
toilet area
humid area
I know I need these things:
A thermometer that measures surface temp
rheostat, thermostat, or dimmer switch (which one?)
What else? Any tips?
PS You might see other threads from me about simple things. I wanted to know what I did wrong.
I'm going to get another leo probably so this time I don't want it to happen again.

pbgeckos

Panhandle Geckos
Sorry to hear about Will. Do you know what the cause of death was? It looks like you have a lot of the basics, except that I would add a calcium dish (bottle cap of calcium powder) and and definitely a thermometer to keep an eye on surface temps. All of my enclosures are connected to thermostats as well.
On another note, there are a lot of other issues (such as parasites) that can decrease a leopard gecko's lifespan or cause other major problems. I'd highly suggest not buying from chain stores as you do not know who bred them or what conditions they came from.

Last edited:

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I would bleach everything. Then rinse it and let it dry. Then Id soak it in ammonia. Rinse it and let it dry.
That way any little parasites or bugs will be fried!

Jordycakes

Jordy&Kirsty
+1 on katie ild soak them in bleach with boiling water then rinse and dry the soak it again in normal water and rinse and dry! Good luck :D

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
no. you need bleach and then ammonia (BUT DO NOT MIX THE TWO).
If your gecko died of crypto, bleach does not do the trick.

DrCarrotTail

Some parasites are not killed by bleach and so it is best to wash with both ammonia and bleach -- SEPARATELY -- as Katie said. If you combine the two chemicals they give off a poisonous gas.

If I were getting a new gecko and knew the last one had parasites I would get rid of anything porous - basically anything that can absorb anything. That would include wood, cloth, styrofoam (can't really absorb but has spaces where bacteria/parasites could live), repticarpet, etc.

SC Geckos

As Russell said just replace everything. Don't chance it. You can only assume what got your gecko sick since it was not taken to the vet for any testing.

The person said he died of parasites( there were all the signs, and I bought him that way)
Do I have to replacE everything? I had so much and I'm already going to bleach everything!
Not only that but I have my uth stuck to the tank anyway!

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Yes, replace the wood and the carpet.
Dont risk infecting your new gecko.

Disinfect your glass tank and bowls with the bleach, and then the ammonia.

Visit our friends