How many year can it give you ?

C

camay123

How many year, starting from year 1, can a gecko produce babies ? Or, how many years do you keep a gecko for breeding purpose ?

male ?
Female ?

Thanks
Patrick

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
A healthy female can produce anywhere from 6-10 clutches a year on average. I 'retire' my girls when they are around 5 years old, but the males can keep going for many more.

Stitch

You will start to see a reduction in fertility and the amount of eggs layed when a female starts to get too old for breeding. You only get a bout 5 good years of egg laying until they start their decline. Keeping them healthy and a well balanced diet is they key to good egg laying seasons.

S

shrap

I personally like my girls at 60 grams (many will breed at 50 grams and that is ok too, 60 grams is a just a personal choice) AND 12 months of age. The weight is really important due to the weight loss they will endure during laying.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Years ago, a 38 gram, 9-month old female was considered breedable. Some leo breeders still do that... but I agree, at least a year old and a minimum of 50 grams is my personal and professional recommendation.
Here's why:

1.) they maintain better weight for the duration of breeding season
2.) they lay more clutches
3.) they produce more fertile clutches
4.) they bounce back between clutches more quickly
5.) they have fewer incidences of dystocia (egg-binding)
6.) they will have a longer life-span

Sally Salamander

You do realize that they can be productive MUCH longer. I have a friend who has positively ANCIENT leopards, that keep on producing fertile eggs. (If I told you how old, you would say "bullcrap" - so I will just leave it to your imagination.)

C

camay123

Sally Salamander said:
You do realize that they can be productive MUCH longer. I have a friend who has positively ANCIENT leopards, that keep on producing fertile eggs. (If I told you how old, you would say "bullcrap" - so I will just leave it to your imagination.)

Thats nasty. Tell us how and will judge.

marula

i don't like the idea to put in breeding program a old female...in geckos and in dogs...first for respect forthe animal,second because have babies is a strong stress for the body for the female...and i think is not correct put her in this condition after 5-6 years..older than 6 years she have more problem to return at a good form....
this year i breed for her last time my 6 years oldfemale of australian shepherd..but only because she is in healty and she has produced only 13 puppies in 4 litters...so..depends from the female, for sure...but over than 6 years is not a rule...

Last edited:

Stitch

My female line snow was only 8 months when she surprisingly laid 2 infertile eggs. So I figured if she was going to lay them, they might as well be fertile. Obviously her appetite grew, she maintained her weight throughout the season, I'd even say she put more on as it time went on. Just saying sometimes they surprise you.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
You do realize that they can be productive MUCH longer. I have a friend who has positively ANCIENT leopards, that keep on producing fertile eggs.
My vet has a pair of W/C leos that are well over 15 years old, and last year they produced a couple of fertile clutches.

Visit our friends