Cheap, basic rack

yoimb0b

I am looking to buy a basic rack, that can hold around 8-12 hatchling-medium geckos. I saw a link a while ago for one that included the heat tape, and was only $189, and it was made out of plastic i believe, but now i cant find it. Where do you guys buy your racks? links/ comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks

edit: ok so i found the links for boahpile and reptile basic, and Im trying to narrow it down to either the 10 drawer show box rack form boaphile for $199 delivered, or the 12 tub rack from reptile basics which is $179.99 shipped. Any input on either of these? here are the links

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/smallshoerack.html

http://www.reptilebasics.com/store/product.php?productid=16181&cat=251&page=1

any body use either of this?

i was also looking at the AP Economy Plastics line, which can hold 12 tubs, but it is $215 shipped. All come with the flex tape and just need to be plugged into a thermostat.

Last edited:

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I don't have any of these, but I have heard a LOT of great things about them.
http://www.nsreptiles.com/
The white 10-hole shoebox rack (left) and the black rack (right) are available for $168.00 and $178.00 respectively. They can be stacked on top of each other and also placed side by side. Tubs measure 14.5 x 7.5 x 4.5". Comes with flex watt heat tape. Total weight is 20 pounds with tubs. Price includes shipping.

J

justin-branam

yoimb0b said:
so your reccomending the nsreptiles racks? thanks.

just note that the nsreptiles rack uses back heat rather than bottom heat.

gaparicio

Let's Go Bears!
Belly heat is what you should always look for. It's the best and healthiest way to go for your gecko since it aides in digestion better than back or top heat.

G & M Geckos

Margaritaville Tour Guide
You can build one cheaper than that. My last was like 80.00 all together. And took about 45 minutes to put together.

papaK

I second that. I just built my own and it was cheap and easy. All you'll need to do is get the tubs, heat tape and connections and that will cost a lot less than ordering a rack online. You can get the materials you're using cut for you at a lot of stores such as Home Depot. It's not hard and you'll probably enjoy doing it.:main_thumbsup:

gixxer3420

Yup i built myown rack. AS for instructions:

Decide what size tubs you are going to use and use the tubs as your measurments. This is how I built mine ans it was simple.

papaK

I bought tubs that are 17 x 11 x 6 for the rack i just built... I have room for 6 tubs. There are 3 levels that are each 24 x 18 and the sides are also 24 x 18 so that the bottom level doesn't sit directly on the ground. It's really easy as he said just figure out what size tubs you want to use and draw up some plans.

GoGo

I'm Watching You
Building your own rack would be very easy. Infact you could even do it with a bookcase set, mine would be big enough for like, 2 boxes each level and 4 on the bottom level...But i dont have that many leo's breeding (only 1 female breeding with 1 male) so i have no need to change its usage.

T

TripleMoonsExotic

gaparicio said:
Belly heat is what you should always look for. It's the best and healthiest way to go for your gecko since it aides in digestion better than back or top heat.

Actually, I would strongly disagree.

Belly heat is overkill in 6qt tubs. I own Casey's racks and have never had a single issue with my 6 or 15qt racks useing back heat. Also, upon request Casey will install belly heat in the 15qts. My 32qt tubs use belly heat as the floor space is much larger with more area to heat.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
We use back heat too due to our climate here in Houston. With show box sized racks it's nearly impossible to keep a "cool" side and a "warm" side with belly heat since it's so hot most of the year. Our hi's are still in the upper 80's right now.

K

KellyTCS

Ok, so what if my room is 65-70 in the day? Back heat or belly?

T

TripleMoonsExotic

KellyTCS said:
Ok, so what if my room is 65-70 in the day? Back heat or belly?

Depends on the size of your tubs. If you're working with just 6qts, I would say back. Anything larger, belly.

Visit our friends