How many breed their own feeder rodents?

R

rrhill

Didn't know where else to put this. How many here do or would breed their own feeder rodents. I am thinking of building a few rat racks to sell at the Birmingham show next month, just not sure how many other people would really be interested?!!?

HPIM0006.jpg

I really like the small motar tubs instead of the big ones because I got some short arms & those rats run straight for the back side every time I open them.

nwheat

Wow, Ro, what do you have that eats all those? I bred my own mice when I had a boa, but with just one little corn snake I prefer to buy frozen. The only rodent (live) that we have now is my daughter's new hamster!

R

rrhill

That pic is a couple of weeks old. The rack in the forefront has 1 breeder male in each tub (except the bottom tub has 2 male african soft furred rats...I don't have any girls to go with them yet). The other taller 6 tub rack has the HUGE motar tubs and each of those has 2 or 3 breeder females, a couple still have some babies they are weaning. The smaller 3 tub rack has 1 tub with 4 small females that I am growing out for future breeding duty but the other 2 tubs are empty. I just separated all the boys & girls to give them a break for a little bit. I gased off about 60 small/med/old breeders a week or 2 ago.

To answer your questions: 22 balls, 2 boas and a nile monitor. I got rid of all my sinaloans, they were pretty to look at but just too wiggly for me. I actually have more rats & mice than I need, vacuum sealed in the freezer. I have 2 breeding colonies (1.2) of mice too! Although they may be gased off soon here because they keep eating their babies...I hate mice!:main_thumbsdown:
I bought frozen from rodent pro but it got to be a pain when I would run out of 1 size and would have to place an order, or if they were out of what I needed. I like being able to always know exactly what I will need in a month & know that I have it or WILL have it!

brandy101010

I breed my own rodents but I don't use racks. I use huge tanks. I guess I would consider using racks if they would provide enough room for them all. My feeders are treated as pets untill they are feed to something. They get the best food, veggies and lots of toys to play with. I actually enjoy them and spend alot of time with them. lol. Alot of the racks I have seen for rodents seemed kinda cruel to me. ( very small spaces) Yours looks pretty good and I would actually use something like that.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
We breed rodents, sadly. I really don't like it, as they are smelling and time consuming to feed and clean. We have an automatic watering system which was SO much better than bottles.

We actually have a rat rack built just like what your have Ro, but with much smaller containers to house individual breeder females. Males go in with the female for a week, then on to the next girl :)

R

rrhill

I'll be waiting for some pics too! My BRAND NEW camera has decided it doesn't want to work right. I guess I have to take it in and see if it is some technical problem or a "user" problem.

robin

we have bred rodents in the past but they stink and are too much to have to deal with. we would have to keep them in the house and oh stinky. we have no garage and we couldnt even think about keeping them outside in some sorta out building. it's too damn hot here and ro yes i agree with you i hate mice they eat their young and sometimes each other and are evil viles nasty beasts and they stink worse than rats do.

Visit our friends