Umbilical cord?

T

TheHiddenGecko

Do geckos have an umbilical cord before they hatch? I had one hatch out earlier this morning and I'm not to sure what's wrong with him. I'm not sure if hole is the correct term, but there seems to be a "hole" just above his hind legs on the underside of his body. So far a long stringy thing has come out. It's about 3-4 inches long and is pink. I would get a picture except for the fact that our good cameras just broke. The gecko seems to be fine and is acting like nothing is happening. I have him on a moist paper towel by himself. Please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thanks.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Hi Steve,

That is probably the babies egg sack, he probably didn't absorb it all the way. I wouldn't handle him until it has been absorbed in. You should also keep him on moist paper towels (And, make sure they stay moist at all times)so that it doesn't dry out. Some people will suggest to keep him in the incubator, but if you already have him out I would leave him be.

Hope this helps!

T

TheHiddenGecko

Thanks Jeanne that is a very big help. Now that I look at it again I think you're right. He did hatch out a little early, only 35 days so he probably didn't have enough time to absorb it all the way.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I had a baby born a few weeks ago that looked similar and I thought it was its egg sac (it was covered in perlite when I took it out of the incubator). Unfortunately, it had an umbilical hernia, where the abdomen didn't close up (about 1/4" opening) and its insides were exposed. Needless to say, it didn't survive. Just make sure what you see is really yolk sac and not intestines (sorry to be so graphic).

Aliza

T

TheHiddenGecko

I'm pretty sure it's the yolk sac. The only thing I dont get is the long pinkish/red string-like thing that came out.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
TheHiddenGecko said:
I'm pretty sure it's the yolk sac. The only thing I dont get is the long pinkish/red string-like thing that came out.

Unfortunately, that is probably its intestines coming out, I had a baby like this once too, his belly didn't completely close up and it's organs were exposed like Aliza and Marcia said.

Without a picture we can't be completely sure. Just make sure to keep his enclosure moist and clean. And let us know how he does.

T

TheHiddenGecko

I think it was the egg sack that didn't get absorbed all the way as Jeanne stated. It's healed for the most part now. When our camera comes back I'll get a picture.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
HI Steve,

No, mine died within a few hours of hatching. The fact that yours is still alive and healing is great! I was probably right in my first post :) If you can get a picture without stressing him out too much, that would help.

Glad to hear he is doing good!

T

TheHiddenGecko

Our camera comes back in 10 to 14 days so I'll get one as soon as I can.

T

TheHiddenGecko

We finally got our camera back but it's a little too late to show what had happened. He's fully healed now and is eating very well.
http://www.geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=1372
The last pic in Shanti's post is almost exactly the same thing what had happened to mine, just to give you an idea. Here's the best pic I could come up with of mine.

STA71944.jpg

B

breed leos

iv heard reports about an umbilical cords being stuck to the sumack and the leo died it is a very bad situation, becase the leo is breathing but it dose not move:(

Visit our friends