Size?

sablebeauty

So I picked up some geckos at NARBC in Feb that were hatched on 10/29/10 and 11/13/10.

How big are these geckos supposed to be by now? I've never had cresties before and I wanted to know if they're growing properly. They still seem small to me but I'm used to having Leo's where I can see the change.

Help!

Daedric1

Is there an average age/weight chart? lol

Many people would like this. Unfortunately, there isn't. :(

Growth in crested geckos can be highly individualized, regardless of diet and living conditions. Generally, crested geckos eating insects as part of their diet will grow much faster than those eating just CGD. That said, faster growth isn't necessarily better, and often times geckos that are fed too many insects (by percentage of diet) have more health problems, such as MBD.

Some crested geckos aren't even interested in insects either, so if that's the case, they will likely have a slower growth rate, which is fine - they will still be healthy and should reach their full adult size.

Keep feeding CGD (if you aren't, switch over) as the main staple, and give gutloaded crickets once every 1-2 weeks, and you should be good. You'll have a happy, healthy gecko. :)

tlbowling

Geck~OCD

Growth in crested geckos can be highly individualized, regardless of diet and living conditions. Generally, crested geckos eating insects as part of their diet will grow much faster than those eating just CGD. That said, faster growth isn't necessarily better, and often times geckos that are fed too many insects (by percentage of diet) have more health problems, such as MBD.

Some crested geckos aren't even interested in insects either, so if that's the case, they will likely have a slower growth rate, which is fine - they will still be healthy and should reach their full adult size.

Keep feeding CGD (if you aren't, switch over) as the main staple, and give gutloaded crickets once every 1-2 weeks, and you should be good. You'll have a happy, healthy gecko. :)

I thanked you once...if I could thank you twice I would. I knew all this but honestly didnt feel like typing it all out :p Im glad you did, and it is PERFECT!

sablebeauty

Thanks so much! :) They're actually just on CGD right now and not live insects, but I do have some dubia roaches and tons of baby roaches. Would those be better to feed them than crickets? Cause I honestly hate crickets.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Nice animals, congratulations!

One suggestion that will help your wallet is to feed WAY less CGD than is in that picture. Next time try feeding just a little clump, one that doesn't even cover the entire bottom of the container. If they eat that, then you can up it. They lick so little at a time that you probably won't even notice it's gone and you'll throw away a lot also.

sablebeauty

Nice animals, congratulations!

One suggestion that will help your wallet is to feed WAY less CGD than is in that picture. Next time try feeding just a little clump, one that doesn't even cover the entire bottom of the container. If they eat that, then you can up it. They lick so little at a time that you probably won't even notice it's gone and you'll throw away a lot also.

Thanks! :) I kinda bought a big package when I got these little guys and leave it in the freezer unless I'm feeding them so it'll last a while. I also just tend to give the "leftovers" to my roaches and they num it right up. :)

Visit our friends