Gargoyle tank size

ShadowAngel

Hello, quick question! Looking at getting a juvenile Gargoyle Gecko, and wanting to get the terrarium set up in advance. I've read that adults would do best in something like an 18x18x24 enclosure, but that hatchlings and juveniles should be in a 12x12x18 enclosure or something similar. Would it be detrimental to keep the young gecko in the big enclosure? If I can buy one tank instead of two that would be preferable, but of course i'll do what's best for the gecko.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It depends how young and small you get your gecko. Really young juveniles (under 15 grams) can be kept in a 6qt shoe box size tub which costs about $1. I kept my gargoyle hatchlings in these when I was breeding. Each one had a coconut shell hide, a piece of bamboo or other branch placed diagonally against the hide, a small water bowl and food bowl. I think a larger juvenile would be OK in the 1818x24

Aliza

timmyfimmy

I did some random search on the internet about that size 18x18x24 and I found the Exo Terrarium could be suitable up to 3 geckos. First time I heard this kind of brand, and I really do not know is that a special glass or a glass still a glass, what I mean maybe I could recycle an old aquarium, clean it and turn into a gecko habitat.

All in all thinking about everything, flooring, water, or maybe LED light, I might need some kind of DIY skill to mount something, or I might just need to invest some cash to buy a proper habitat kit. This article here might be a kickstart to think rationally. Anyway, my old aquarium is filled with tons of dust if I just decide to buy a new one.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If your old aquarium is tall (at least 18") you could turn it into a gargoyle habitat though you have to be aware that it will be top opening and gargs like to climb so you'll have to open it carefully. You can also turn the tank 90 degrees and fabricate (or find a kit to do this) a door so the old top of the aquarium becomes the front and has a front door.

Aliza

Visit our friends