gecko feet problems, please help

K

keara414

My african fat tail isn't doing very well, his feet are discolored and seem to hurt. It looks like he wasn't able to shed the skin on his feet. He also hasn't been eating. I put him in a small moist container overnight but it didn't seem to help. I'll attach some pictures, if you know anything about this it would be greatly appreciated. I dont have a whole lot of experience with reptiles so I'm a little scared for my gecko. His back right foot seems to have a clump and he acts like it hurts quite a bit.

MiamiLeos

Wow.. Alright well from what I can see it looks like the problem started witha bad shed that was not addressed. From there it sems like a few more layers of skin have built up, constricting the feet. It also looks like he may have stepped in some feces or has some type of substrate stuck in there as well. He also loks to have a few toe tips already missing. To me, the feet look badly infected and swolen. Honestly if you try to get the skin off yourself, you may very well take several whole toes of his off with the skin. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself then I would higly recommend taking him to a vet immeditely. This is likely very uncomfortable and very painful for your gecko. If you take him to a vet and the feet are indeed infected he may need to be placed on antibiotics for a period of time. Either way, something needs to be done for the poor fella asap. Quick question- does he have a moist hide in his enclosure 24/7?

K

keara414

ahhh. i took him to the vet and he's going to be okay :) he had trouble with his last shed, and the dead skin on his feet was constricting... freaky. thanks for the advice

MiamiLeos

Great! So glad you took him to the vet! If he does not have a humid hide in his cage, he will need one of those. Next time he sheds, try to see if he needs a little help with his feeties to prevent this from happening again :)

Visit our friends