Help switching to mealworms

F

fullyclips

I've been feeding my 2 year old male crickets, he just won't touch the mealworms. I might be able to sneak one in between a cricket but thats it. Lately, he's seemed disinterested in the crickets so I'd like to switch him over and it's also cheaper =D My 2 month old female doesn't have a problem with mealworms she eats her 10 every night before she becomes content. Any advice on how to switch him over? I've been told to not feed him for a few days so that he is as hungry as possible and then feed them. I'm not too fond of that idea..

P

pawsfoot

I would just stick a few of both in there for right now. When he is done with the crix he may become interested in the mealworms. I stick my mealworm dish on top of the UTH somewhat. This makes the mealies warm and it seems to me that they are more active when they are warm. If he does start eating the mealies you can put in less crix everyday until finally there are no cirx. Just make sure you still gutload the mealies. They come in that bran stuff from the pet store, but I use regular oatmeal and some potato or carrot for moisture. Hope you have good luck with your leo. Also forgot to add that this time of year when it gets a little cooler outside sometimes they slow down eating. He may also smell your female if they're in the same room and that may also make him have a smaller appetite.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fullyclips

I've tried that =/ yea, I keep my mealies in Progutload and rotate potatoe slices, apple, carrot. I think you are right, my female happens to right next to the male, I keep a piece of paper in between so that they can't see each other. I've noticed he's slown down significantly since I've aquired her as well as the temperature getting cooler, and plus he's getting ready to shed. Hopefully I can find a way to switch him over to mealworms.

D

dwarfgouramis

I'm trying to also use the "Can-o-worms" for my leo just for variety, I put some in a small lid with calcium, will she eventually find them, or is there something i can do to get her to be more interested in them?

P

pawsfoot

Normally the geckos won't eat something that isn't alive and moving. So I'm gonna say that no I don't think you will be able to get her to eat the dead can-o-worms stuff.

P

pawsfoot

Also (fullyclips) you can try killing a cricket and kinda rubbing its guts on the mealies or the mealie bowl. This may make your gecko think it is a cricket. Don't know for sure though. I've never tried.

Visit our friends