Anyone likes Japanese manga or anime?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I like reading manga (translated, of course), so much that I started learning Japanese...anyone learning Japanese here?

John N

JCN Reptiles
I use to watch anime for a short period of time. I don't know Japanese, but I'm fluent in Vietnamese and a know very little Chinese.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I like *some* anime, but it can generally be restricted to movies or series which are simply "Good Television" in a way that transcends the genre. Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Trigun- these are just good shows regardless of where they were created. Still requires someone who doesn't mind animation and the occassional dubbing synch slip but they're well written, visually decent and the characters behave in more than one dimension.

The majority of anime and the oddball manga I have run into though has certain cultural barriers that I have difficulty getting around. The other series/movies I have attempted to watch and in some cases have watched in their entirety based on the reccomendations of others often had too many small, sometimes subtle, sometimes overt things which simply did not make sense within the American frame of refference. Tenchi (take your pick) for instance or I sat through the entire Nadesco series- they were simply "off" to my way of thinking and I found them unenjoyable as a result. Others just went too far almost immediately and I had to stop even attempting to watch it (Slayers for example, caused me to feel like I had a toothache in my eyeball).

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
I don't speak much japanese but i pick up a few pieces here and there.

I do absolutely love manga though, i dont even want to know how many comics i have...
Anime on the other hand is ok too, but only certain ones, like he said its a preference thing. Like that Bobobo show is just completely ... BLEAH.
Whereas, shows like Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist are awesome in both story and art.

I draw manga as well although i limit the stlye combining it with the American Marvel style. For example, the eyes are normal sized and not a third of the face... that bothers me... those bug eyes.

On another note some favorite titles:

Bleach
Priest
Deathnote
Black Cat
One Piece
Naruto
Amongst others

Anime:
Cowboy Bebop
FMA
Samuraii Champloo
Outlaw Star
Dragon Ball (Z too)
Amongst others

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Wow! so happy to see you mentioning "One Piece", I LOVE it! I started this thread right after I finished reading book #41; so funny (and sad at times...)! I also have "Deathnote" on my bookshelf, sometimes I wish I have such a notebook...j/k

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I love anime and manga. I do not have time nor the money to support my love for it anymore, but I know my collection is big. Lots of Manga mainly, and a lot of dvds as well. Favorite series (at the time) is:

Chobits (manga, not anime)
Slayers
Saiyuki
MARS

There are others, but it's too early for me to remember them :)

eyelids

Bells Rule!
LOL I was going to do a similar thread! I'm a major fan... Guess you could call me an otaku! My favorite manga is Yakitate Japan at the moment. I really like any Universal Century Gundam anime. I watch a lot of raw unsubtitled stuff too. Started learning J about 7 years ago and I'm still not fluent. I don't spend enough time with other people who speak it so....

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Yeah One Piece is awesome in manga form, but the cartoon over here is terrible...

They made it for like 8 year old kids and there is no blood in the cartoon at all, whereas the comic has countless bloody fights. And instead of a cigarette Sanji sucks a lolly pop... and captain smoker is just missing his cigars, they're just gone and the smoke coming from his mouth remains... UGH :shifty:

N

NewportGeckos

Looks like I'm the opposite of most of you here! I do not read or watch manga/anime, but did take a few years of Japanese just for fun! Unfortunately I have forgotten much of it because I don't have anything to use it for :(

eyelids

Bells Rule!
GeckoStud said:
Yeah One Piece is awesome in manga form, but the cartoon over here is terrible...

They made it for like 8 year old kids and there is no blood in the cartoon at all, whereas the comic has countless bloody fights. And instead of a cigarette Sanji sucks a lolly pop... and captain smoker is just missing his cigars, they're just gone and the smoke coming from his mouth remains... UGH :shifty:

That's exactly why I don't mess with English dubbed crap. Aside from Cowboy Bebop every other dub job sucks and cartoon network for anime... LOL! They edit wayyyy too much.

Visit our friends