Breeding for fun

T

Tainted Glory

I'm curious. I will be breeding leopard geckos this spring and have always wondered the reasoning behind some pairings. Do you guys typically try to get pairs or trios of certain traits, or just pair up exceptional geckos, regardless of morph, etc?

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Well I pair up trios of exceptional geckos of a certain morph, to better improve that particular morph. However, outcrossing your stock is important as not to get too inbred and to get fresh blood into the lines. :)

Some traits, like stripes and red stripes (which is debateable if they are recessive of line bred) need to be bred to other stripes to produce, striped animals.

Breeding is quite complex but once you get a hang on it, you really understand. Hoped this kinda helped! :)

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
At first, most people are just happy to get eggs and hatchlings! LOL!!! As gecko collections grow, so does the knowledge of the various morphs and the understanding of how their genetics work to produce a desired trait in their offspring.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm not breeding geckos to make money, but I do have to sell the babies so I can keep breeding; I can't have 100 geckos in my house. So I try to make breeding combinations that will have interesting and attractive results to make them easier to sell. I have a normal male but have not bred him because I'm worried that the offspring will not be intresting enough.

Aliza

T

Tainted Glory

I think Rai raised an interesting, but completely valid point. As a newcomer to any serious breeding, one can expect to be overwhelmed. Seriously, in a few days, I was exposed from everythign from hybino, to LVA, to SHTCTB, to APTOR, to raptor, to blizzard, to high yellows. I've been pulling pics from the net and organizing the into personal folders to help distinguish various traits. I recommend all newbie' do the same.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I had to get out of leos back in 2000 due to being paralyzed suddenly. I got back into them last Summer and I was just as lost as you. I have a strong handle on morphs now, but I still keep a pic folder just like you said...

View attachment 1634

As far as breeding for fun, isn't that what it's all about anyways?!

Visit our friends