Hello Everyone; Im new here!

W

Welsh

If I get ProGeckos Pro Gutloader, would I need vionate?

Also, Im going to get the ESU, Repcal Calcium and Repcal Herpative; but do I give these to the Gecko, or the Mealworms and cricks?

Is it a good idea to switch between mealies and cricks?

Also, does the Light Dimmer lower the temperature of the Heat tape? And is the heat tape I showed going to work?

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
Welsh said:
If I get ProGeckos Pro Gutloader, would I need vionate?
I would say, yes. I use the vionate for dusting crickets, and also leave about an 1/8" of it in the bottom of the mealworm bowls.
Welsh said:
Also, Im going to get the ESU, Repcal Calcium and Repcal Herpative; but do I give these to the Gecko, or the Mealworms and cricks?
You can leave the calcium in a small dish in the leo's enclosure so that they can lick it up on their own, but most people dust the feeder insects with those supplements.

Welsh said:
Is it a good idea to switch between mealies and cricks?
I would get the gecko feeding on mealworms as a staple, and maybe offer crickets occasionally. Mealworms are (in my opinion) easier to keep and feed to the gecko since you can keep them in a bowl in your leo's enclosure, whereas crickets can run around and hide in the cage. Since you can keep extra mealworms in the fridge, it's easier to keep a longer supply of food insects on hand if you're feeding mealies to your gecko.

Welsh said:
Also, does the Light Dimmer lower the temperature of the Heat tape? And is the heat tape I showed going to work?
Your link shows a heat pad, which isn't quite the same as heat tape although they fit the same objective. Dimmers work by regulating the electrical flow to the heating element, thereby affecting how much heat the heat pad or heat tape will give off. You'll just have to check the warm spot of the enclosure above the heat pad with a thermometer to make sure you have the dimmer set appropriately.

Welsh said:
Is a 20 gallon tank supposed to be long or wide?
20 gallon tanks usually come in two models (well, for the popular "All Glass" brand, at least). There's the 20L which is approximately 30"L x 12"D x 12"H and then the 20H which is roughly 24"L x 12"D x 16"H. For a leo, I would go with the 20L since they are terrestrial geckos. However, you could also get a 15 gallon (24"L x 12"D x 12"H) since they are the same footprint size as a 20H but not as tall.

W

Welsh

PaulSage said:
Your link shows a heat pad, which isn't quite the same as heat tape although they fit the same objective. Dimmers work by regulating the electrical flow to the heating element, thereby affecting how much heat the heat pad or heat tape will give off. You'll just have to check the warm spot of the enclosure above the heat pad with a thermometer to make sure you have the dimmer set appropriately.

What about what is now on my pricelist; the "Zoo Med Heat Pad".

Would I need a dimmer for that?

Someone told me a dimmer required electrical work; of which I don't have any knowledge about.

W

Welsh

I'd be very interested in maybe coming up there; but then again I may just wait until september. Unless your near Folsom with a Female Blizzard Leo anytime soon. ;)

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Welcome Welsh, you couldn't have found a better site to ask questions about leos. So far from what i read you are on your way to a happy leo and a good setup.

As for your earlier question i do have AIM, and i am on alot, i'd be happy to answer any questions you have. My SN is StoneArtist12

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
Welsh said:
What about what is now on my pricelist; the "Zoo Med Heat Pad".

Would I need a dimmer for that?

Someone told me a dimmer required electrical work; of which I don't have any knowledge about.
Whether or not you would need a dimmer for that heat pad would depend on the maximum temperature that product creates for the warm end of your enclosure when used. If you decide on that heat pad, I would install it, set up the tank, position a thermometer above the heat pad where your gecko would be, and check the temps for at least 24 hours. I'm not familiar with those heat pads, but if it gets too hot, you'll want the dimmer.

There's a variety of dimmers available at hardware stores. Some are meant for direct wiring to replace a light switch in a wall outlet, whereas others are contained in an extension cord for use with lamps, etc. I'd go for one of the extension cord types, since you can just "plug 'n play" with that type. Regardless, you'll want to watch the temperatures in the enclosure for a few days before adding a gecko just to make sure that s/he will be warm enough without getting burned.

Visit our friends