1. Are you a Gecko enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Gecko enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your geckos and enclosures and have a great time with other Gecko enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone own a Fat Tail?

Discussion in 'Fat-tail Geckos - Hemitheconyx' started by Gopherhockey03, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Gopherhockey03

Gopherhockey03 Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member

I have been doing a lot of research on these guys! They seem to have the same care requirements as Leopard Geckos. Can anyone verify this?
    Josh likes this.
  2. Darkmaster743

Darkmaster743 Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member

Yeah they are Closely Releated but there Temp's are Slightly Different. Its why you cant store them together because of the risk that one of them will not meet there needs. And as Fat Tails get older there Whole Tale Gets REALLY big. On the other hand a Leo's Tail may stay in the Same length but Seem a bit bigger. Though body mass of a Leo expands alot you will notice when they get really long.
    Josh likes this.
  3. LeoLovingLady

LeoLovingLady Gecko Egg

Yes, I own Leo's and a fat tail. The care is basically the same except the tails prefer it a bit more humid. I mist his tank twice a day and make sure that his humid hide is always moist. Fat tails are incredibly sweet and docile animals. They usually just creep around, but don't be fooled...they can BOLT when they want to! Hope this helps:)
    GrendelUlf and charles burch like this.
  4. acpart

acpart Gecko Grandparent 3 Year Member

Fat tails are great. I have 3.4.1. The baby just hatched last week.

Aliza
    Josh likes this.
  5. Star

Star Adult Gecko

I got a fat tail not too long ago... the main differences are they need to be misted a few times a week, they usually won't eat mealworms they prefer to hunt things that move more, and the hot side needs to be a little hotter.
  6. charles burch

charles burch Gecko Egg

I just got a fat tail tonight from a wonderful person who traded me my male royal ball python for the gecko. He is so cool, so mello and always chillin like a villan.
    Josh likes this.
  7. Darkmaster743

Darkmaster743 Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member

That's cool, Make sure to do your research on Fat Tails. Especially with Sickness/How to Feed/Etc. I don't own a fat tail but i'm sure we have some discussions on here that contain information if you look them up.
  8. Josh

Josh Administrator Staff Member 3 Year Member

Welcome to the forum @charles burch ! Can't wait to see some photos of your fat tail!!
  9. GrendelUlf

GrendelUlf Gecko Egg 3 Year Member

Fat tails are awesome. First gecko I ever had that cuddled in and fell asleep in my hand. Watching them hunt is fun too.
    Laurah likes this.
  10. Laurah

Laurah Adult Gecko

Theres 2 fat tails at my work, and they are so sweet! when i clean their cages, they just look at me like oh hey c: such chill little cuties.