1. Are you a Gecko enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Gecko enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your geckos and enclosures and have a great time with other Gecko enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bioactive substrate

Discussion in 'Gecko Enclosures' started by Larry, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Larry

Larry Gecko Egg

Wondering how many of you use a bioactive substrate ? I use it in many of my herp habitats (with exception of snakes). Wondering if it works with leopards.
  2. acpart

acpart Gecko Grandparent 3 Year Member

I use it in one of my leopard gecko enclosures. I used coco fiber mixed with a relatively small amount of desert sand and leaf litter from outside. I have had 2 retired female leopard gecko breeders in there for about 3 years. There are also a good number of crickets and super worms breeding in there. I keep a dish of grain for the feeders. Both geckos weigh over 70 grams and are doing very well (the crickets are too).
    I also use bioactive substrate for my day geckos, fat tails, leachie, crestie and gargoyles.

Aliza
  3. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Hatchling Gecko

It does work with leopard geckos well. Mixes will depend on you, the variety of available stuff as well your location in the world. I'm using a new mixture made of chemical-free marcoting mixture (says leaf litter and osmunda roots), laterite (a kind of tropical clay soil, pre-dampened then dried before use) and desert sand.