Threw up, still alive...EW.

JennyBeen

Yesterday Mardu was getting his usual dozen or so insects for his feeding. He ate them, one at a time, about 8 phoenix worms and 2 mealworms. I'm guessing he swallowed a bit too fast though, in that he threw up 5 minutes later about six insects...the two mealworms and four phoenix worms...and two of the phoenix worms were still alive! EWWWWWWW.

I cleaned up the mess, but before I could get the living ones, he came around and ate them again. He kept them down just fine, and was begging for more food (the poor little guy), but I couldn't bring myself to feed him more...we'll try again tomorrow.

I know it's common for younger geckos to eat too fast and throw up...I've just never heard of any of the bugs still being alive!

sausage

BSc AMAS
eating is a skill to be learned lol. i have had the same thing once or twice. i can only inagen that swollowing live prey is uncomfortable, if its wriggling around in your throat you'd want to throw it up haha

indyana

LOL Oh my gosh, that's such a picture... and he ate them again!

To be honest, I think I've given up on phoenix worms. I've tried them a few different times with all my lizards, and none of them really like them. And the fact that the little buggers can climb up pretty much any surface and eventually turn into buzzy flying things does not make them endearing.

JennyBeen

Ha ha, I actually don't mind them TOO much, compared to other insects.

Superworms, for example, just scare me. A bunch came with our recently adopted bearded dragon, and they're so huge that I'm afraid to feed them to the geckos! I know they come in different sizes too, but their fast movements and bitey nature make me nervous...ha ha. I think I'll stick with my slow and steady, bite-free mealworms!

I will say that while the Phoenix worms haven't been too bad, it's hard to get through a cup of 100 of them. Mardu had been a good sport ate at least a few at each meal, sometimes more when he's hungry. But after throwing them up the other day, he's not eaten more than one; maybe he has flashbacks of the wiggly vomit feeling!

Fortunately, we're almost through with maybe 25 or so to go. I do like that you don't have to gut load them or dust them, and since Mardu has MBD, I've felt good about their high calcium content. That being said, I'm hoping our dragon offers some help to finish them off!!!

Herbiebug

Leos are very adept at chomping superworms, never fear. They are safe to feed so long as they are offered in an escape proof bowl.

My garg is the only one who likes phoenix worms. And she's the super picky eater! Doesn't like wax worms, doesn't like crickets. Loves phoenix worms. Which is fine with me as that eliminates the issue of trying to remove uneaten crickets from her arboreal tank. And also, since she's arboreal it's okay if some of them escape the bowl and survive long enough to turn in to soldier flies. She will readily eat the soldier flies as well.

Visit our friends