Baby Gecko is still not eating.....

Gecko4me

I got my son a baby gecko a few wks ago, but it still doesn't seem to eating very well. I fed it wax worms the first few days it came because I couldn't find mealworms anywhere. (I feed mealworms to my hedgies too, so never considered I'd have trouble getting them or I'd have made sure I had them before order it) A couple of them did disappear so I'm pretty sure it did eat them. Then I started feeding mealworms on the 5th day I got the gecko and I thought it was eating them, a few were disappearing, but now for probably 4-5 days, I haven't seen any disappearing. (I count them when I feed it and I do replace them every few days w/ fresh ones (they are always alive, but just thought maybe fresh would be more appealling) but they are disappearing.) :( I also got a few dubia roaches and have tried 4 of them (2-2 different times) but they are always still in the dish too. I use a small crock dish for its food dish and thought maybe it was too small or dark, so I tried a more shallow open dish, but they (the food) are just escaping the dish. So I'm going to try a different crock tonight that is more open, but has a bit higher sides then the dish I bought last weekend and see if that works. He does have a capful of calcuim to eat at will and a crock w/ water in it too. He has a tupperware container w/ moss moistened it in over his under the tank heater. (His heater covers about 1/3 of his cage) He has 1 tall "mountain" hidie over his heat side (which is where he normally hides) and one a magnet rock that is on his cooler side. Is the cooler side just suppose to be room temperature?? I had read that heat lights aren't good because its not good for their eyes, is that true?? Is the under tank heat enough?? I don't think it feels all that warm, but maybe I just don't know?? The room temp is about 75 degrees because that is what we keep it at for the hedgies as well. Any suggestions???

Jessie

Friedbread

Maybe you should give small crickets a try? They are much more active than worms and may look more appealing to the gecko. Make sure they are no bigger than the space between the gecko's eyes.

Gecko4me

Okay, I can get them tomorrow, I'll try that too. It really active when we watch quietly at night w/ just a low light on. We just worry its not eating enough.

Also OT, but how old before we can sex it?? Not a huge deal, but I would like to be able to say "he/she" rather than it. :p

Friedbread

Probably a few months before you can say for sure what gender it is.

Also a tip with the crickets: you may want to offer them to the gecko in a separate container so they don't run off and live in your gecko's cage. Or only offer one or two at a time so you can keep an eye on them and remove them if the gecko isn't interested.

Gecko4me

Okay thanx. I had heard that crickets can make your leo nervous. That is why I hadn't offered them yet.

Gecko4me

Just thought I'd update. My son tried hand feeding our gecko yesterday and it ate 5 mealworms. (decent size ones too, not the really tiny ones) He would just hold the mealworm in front of the gecko and it would take it from his hand and munch it right now. Now that it has eaten though, being a baby should it eat everyday or every few days?? Just wondering when we should start to worry again if it hasn't eaten?? BTW, my son just adored that he got the gecko to eat and he loves feeding him. :)

Jessie

Visit our friends