keeping them fat

boutiquegecko

Is this normal for adults? With every adult we've purchased they have lost a few ounces and thinned down in the tail, and only then plumped back up again. Is it getting used to a new place and food? I just wondered if this happened to anyone else or if my leos were just strange.

D

dwarfgouramis

no my new leo has lost a few onces but is now putting more weight back on

BalloonzForU

I'm hoping you guys mean grams not ounces. It can be normal for adults to be a little more stressed than hatchlings/subadults, when moved to a new home. But if you ask how their setup was prior to the move and setup their new home as close as you can I feel there isn't as much stress on them. When I get any gecko in, I use the deli cup they came in as a hide for a while till then make the new tub their home.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
boutiquegecko said:
Yeah, I meant grams.

Glad to see that!

I have one that did that (only lost 3 grams). She took a couple months to settle in, but she's put on 10 grams since I got her in May. I'm talking about Bella by the way Kelli. She's doing really well, but doesn't want to get gravid (is still ovulating though)...

D

Dee

We had a couple of AFT's that took FOREVER to start eating when we first got them -- weeks in fact. They had us worried to death at first, but both ended up fat and sassy after settling in. :)

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
The only geckos I've had that lost weight after I got them were the ones I got directly from Ron Tremper, and they took a l-o-o-n-g time to settle in and eat.

BalloonzForU

Every leo I've gotten from Kelli took right away to eating, no issues that I feed supers and not mealies either. I've had a few from other breeders take a while to eat but usually only a few days not weeks. Even the ones that I've gotten at shows that have been stuck in deli cups for a few days have done very well.

I think that it may just have needed to adjust to new setup if you are keeping it different than the breeder did.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I can't say I've ever had a weight loss. Most new gecko take off like champs. I've had one or two that were slow starters, but I can't remember any of them actually losing weight. I agree with Felicia...it may be something different you're doing from the breeder. So long as they bounce back, I wouldn't worry about a few grams.

Visit our friends