How many should I feed him?

K

KiwiSF

My male is about 3 months old (Marcia, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know the exact hatch date) but still very small. However, it seems like he's always hungry! I feed him 5-7 mealies every other day, and he still acts like he's starving. Should I just keep feeding him more, or what?
My female was fed 5 every other day when she was that age, and she was never this way. So I'm not sure what I should do.

P

pawsfoot

To tell you the truth I always give them as many as they want. Some people may disagree with me, but none of my geckos are obese. Most of them are babies and still growing anyway. If you put 5-7 in there now I would up the amount by 2 every night until your gecko has some left in the morning. Say tomorrow night you try 9 and they are all gone, then I would go to 11, and so on until the next morning I found some leftovers in the bowl. I always end up with about 2-3 mealies left uneaten in the morning. Since they are in the bowl I just leave them there and sometimes they are gone by the time I feed them that night. You can always toss them as well. I wouldn't put them back in gutload and re-feed them unless you only have one gecko. Melaworms can take parasites and transmit them among the group if you reuse them. Sorry for the long post.

K

KiwiSF

Hmm, okay. I'll try that.

I have 2 geckos but two different sized mealworms that I feed them (though I put the smaller large mealworms in for my younger one for variety) so that's not an issue =3

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
I give them as much as they want too, I just fill up the bowl and check it each day, I usualyl have to fill it up every other day and Im guessing on average mine eat 15+ mealies a day.

Stitch

At 3 months of age he should be fed every day because he is still growing. Feed as much as he will eat in a 30 minute span each night. Once he is an adult, around 1 year old, then you could cut back to every other day feedings.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
When I used to count out the worms (no time for that now), my juvies would eat 20 - 25 worms PER DAY while they were growing. Once they were near full adult size, they naturally backed down to roughly 10 per day. It's a good idea to let your guy eat as much as he wants.

P

pawsfoot

Wow I feel better now that so many people agree with me. On other forums people would tell me my geckos were gonna get to fat if I let them eat whatever they want. Marcia I wish I had that many geckos so I didn't have the time to count the mealies anymore.
Natalie my juvis would eat about 20 mealies a night to give you a little bit of a ballpark. I would say start with 15 or 20 and if they are all gone you can always add more. Let us know how things go.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
As other stated many feed thier leos as much as they want. I don't bother counting them but I typically put in a 2-3 mealworms per bowl per leo, I like to have about 2-3 days worth of food for them. I don't recommand reusing mealworms for other leos after they have been introduced to any leos.

GoGo

I'm Watching You
I just make up a bowl of them and let them sit in the cage iwth some gutload and food untill the geckos eat them because my geckos are picky. One night they might eat like 10 and the next only eat 3 so its hard to judge when i have 3 leo's and all change their habits.

Visit our friends