fatties and leos?

P

pac-man

are fat tails and leos the same care wise???
an has anyone ever tryed breedingthem together?im just wondering..im not doing it lol.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
They do had similar care, Fat Tails need to be more humid than Leos.

As for breeding them, this question comes up often. As far as I know, nobody has attempted to breed them. And, I would not recommend trying it. They are 2 totally different animals/species (?). They probably wouldn't even be interested in each other in "That Way" anyway.

CoolGeckos

Deaf Herper
There is some people who tried to breed Leopard Geckos with African Fattails and all eggs came out unfertile... I hear somewhere that have an sucessfully hybrid of them...

No, both of the specimen have different care requirements- Fattails require more humidity than Leos. They are from enviroment different place- different temps and humidity requirements comparing to Leos

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
Being from different a Genus is usually grounds for ruling out hybrids, although with all the DNA testing and reclassifaction going on I suppose possible. My guess would be that they are too different to successfully breed (and by successfully I mean breed and produce healthy, reproducing offspring) .

M

Montezuma

My question is, why would you want to? What would be beneficial to a hybrid of these 2 species?

I have a suggestion... over feed a Leopard Gecko and Abracadabra:sultan:... a Fat Tailed Leopard Gecko

Sounds just as dumb to me... but what do I know?

M

Marc118

I dont think you can over feed a leo. Unless by that you mean giving them foods that are high in fat...and generally unhealthy.

W

Wretched

I think what pac man was trying to get at is that AFT's look a LOT like Leo's, and with all the other selective breeding going on out there, has anyone tried to mix thier genes to get new gecko's. after all, Africa, middle east, rather close to eachother.

Aft's are a bit more tropical than leo's, tho I remember being cruious about the differences and thinking much the same thing.

LeosForLess

One thing i cant comprehend is that in Biology, they tell us that hybridization ended the potatoe. Burbank hybribized a fast growing potatoe, with a disease resistand potatoe, creating the Burbank potatoe, a potatoe that could grow fast while resisting disease, therefore ending the famine. So until sombody actually produces a hybrid, we dont know just how healthy it would be. I thought on KS i heard Kelli had hybridized them, but the baby died out of the egg. I dont know if this is true, but i dont think it ssafe to tell until sombody does it.

Although i do agree that unless the hybridizatio nproduces somthing relaly cool or somthing, there is no point in contaminateing bloodlines with Fat tail hybrids.

M

Montezuma

Marc118 said:
I dont think you can over feed a leo. Unless by that you mean giving them foods that are high in fat...and generally unhealthy.
Wow, you having the "title" of Mr. Sarcastic under your name would make me think you would understand sarcasm:main_huh: . It is possible to over feed a leo, ever seen one with love handles? I have seen a leo that probably weighed 150 grams and was literally fat. The poor thing could barely move. What made things worse is that it was being sold by a pretty well-known beardie breeder at a show.

M

Marc118

I understood thesarcasm half hehe. I was just saying, leos will stop eating when they are full. Now if you go and feed waxies every day.....yes your leo will be fat. But if you feed healthy they know when to stop.

Visit our friends