Eggs.. Eggs .. Now What ??? Help!!

S

Sniper666

I'm watching two Geckos for my Niece and Nephew while they are on vacation. The smaller of the two just laid 3 eggs!!!! They are buried in the sand half way and are about the size of sparrow eggs. What do i need to do now and how long before they hatch? Should I get an incubator? if so,
what kind and could someone post a link where I could buy one. Thanks for your help. Here's a photo of the parents to be ......

Test1-50mm038.jpg

Sniper

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Hmmm its a good possibility that you have two females and they are laying out duds. As most leopard geckos only lay out 2 eggs, sometimes only one. Can you get a pic of each leopard geckos vent area (their privates ;) ..) that will help us judge if you have a pair or not...

M

mayabear52

Hmmm its a good possibility that you have two females and they are laying out duds. As most leopard geckos only lay out 2 eggs, sometimes only one. Can you get a pic of each leopard geckos vent area (their privates ..) that will help us judge if you have a pair or not...
posted by RaiQuee.
I totaly agree with RaiQuee. You can also candle the eggs to see if they are fertilized. You can do this with a flashlight covered with aluminum foil at the end leaving a small hole to alow the light to come out. Here is a web page to vmsherp web page that can help you determine the sex of the geckos and also has information on candling the eggs. http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBreedingLeopards.htm
If you are interested on buying an incubator, I got mine from LLLreptil at a good price($39.95+shipping)http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...le-incubators/-/thermal-hova-bator-incubator/
This next link is if you wish to build an incubator http://kingsnake.ca/incubator/. I have personally never used this for my geckos, but a friend of mine used it for incubating chicken eggs in a project. I hope that I've been of some help. Good luck.

D

Dottie

My home made incubators worked well. Just get a styrofoam cooler (small) and poke air holes in it. Cut out a space in the lid and glue in a plexiglass piece. Cut out a notch on the side between the lid and cooler big enough to fit the end of a night light in. Put the eggs in a moist medium (damp pearlite is what i use). This should be in a small, plastic container with air holes cut out. I got all the stuff at the dollar store and it worked well. Keep a thermometer in there to monitor temps.

On to the sand subject - while you are the care-giver, you may want to consider that sand as a sub strata can be harmful. Perhaps you can change to slate or repti-carpet or paper towel and educate the owners.

If the eggs are bad, you'll know it in a few days in the incubator.

S

Sniper666

Thanks for all of the responses. I first thought there was three eggs, there are only two. I checked the sexes of the Geckos and they are male and female. I purchased some reptile carpet and removed the sand from the tank.
I have placed the eggs in a container as mentioned here on the forums. The kids will be home tomorrow, they are very excited to see their geckos and the eggs. I sure hope the eggs hatch with no problems. This is the females first batch.

Maybe I'll have to get my own Gecko's !!! :D

H

herplover92

Dottie said:
My home made incubators worked well. Just get a styrofoam cooler (small) and poke air holes in it. Cut out a space in the lid and glue in a plexiglass piece. Cut out a notch on the side between the lid and cooler big enough to fit the end of a night light in. Put the eggs in a moist medium (damp pearlite is what i use). This should be in a small, plastic container with air holes cut out. I got all the stuff at the dollar store and it worked well. Keep a thermometer in there to monitor temps.

On to the sand subject - while you are the care-giver, you may want to consider that sand as a sub strata can be harmful. Perhaps you can change to slate or repti-carpet or paper towel and educate the owners.

If the eggs are bad, you'll know it in a few days in the incubator.
Can i see a pic of your incubator? I will be getting eggs in about a week.

Visit our friends