1. Are you a Gecko enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Gecko enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your geckos and enclosures and have a great time with other Gecko enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fat tail humidity requirements

Discussion in 'Fat-tail Geckos - Hemitheconyx' started by Caleb C, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Caleb C

Caleb C Adult Gecko

Hi, lots of people are talking about how fat tails shouldn't be housed with leo's because of the humidity requirements and how different species will fight to death. This isn't true, and leo's won't get respiratory infection just because the humidity is a bit higher, it's not a pdf tank. Normal humidity around my area is 40-60, which isn't too bad, since i'm in los angeles.Thing is, 50-60% humidity is fine for aft's, even though i mist lightly once every day or two, so the requirements for the two species are almost the same, and i keep the hot side around 85-90, so they can thermoregulate as needed. People will probably disagree, but everyone has different experiences with them. I've read about this subject on lots of forums, and lots of the posters object it because they have seen other people object it online, and don't even own or house both species together. Just my two cents.
  2. Josh

Josh Administrator Staff Member 3 Year Member

It's probably a function of how much space the animals have to live in and how ideal conditions are. if they are cramped, they will probably fight. If they don't have the necessary environment then they definitely won't be happy and will probably be more prone to fighting too...
  3. Caleb C

Caleb C Adult Gecko

i'm currently housing my aft with my leo in a 10 gallon, and they never got into a fight. I'm upgrading their tank to something a tiny bit bigger, to give them more hides and stuff :)
  4. Jsmithusar

Jsmithusar Hatchling Gecko

What size tank do you got? I've been thinking about trying to get a Leo in with my two aft....I know they don't fight and they been together for over a year now. Any tips on how to get them settled in together? I got a 24x18x12 tank with two small hides on the hot side and a low cork log on the cool. Think that's enough or would I run into issues?
  5. Caleb C

Caleb C Adult Gecko

I think that it depends on where you live. Check the relative humidity in your area, and I'm sure that you wouldn't have any issues with yours. Mine is 10 gal, but im getting a big one in a month.