Name dropping breeders

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Ok, maybe this is the insomnia talking....

What do you guys think about breeders that name drop the "big time" breeders name to make a sale on a leo. I'm talking the ones that put the huge headline "Albey's so and so" or "Urban hottie"....you know the ones. It's as if they're a broker for the big breeder, and not someone trying to make a name for themselves. Like they aren't confident enough to stand on their own, so they lean on the big guys to make a sale.

I'm not talking about someone like Gregg. Gregg breeds 100% TUG lines, and lets it be known, but he's not shouting it from the roof top. He lets the gecko speak for itself, and the bloodline is more like extra info provided.

I MUCH prefer the way Gregg goes about it, or not seeing it in the ad at all. Knowing the bloodline is of an intrest to me, but RARELY is it ever the selling point. I just find it distasteful the way some people can't find any other way to sell a gecko other than drop a name. Anyone else?

If this reads like garbage, I'll try to fix it after some sleep! :main_thumbsup:

As an after thought....how about the ones that point out the leo is CB in the title or ad itself. Isn't that a no-brainer for the US market?

Last edited:

Arconna

Well, I'm so new to the whole breeding world that someone saying "Urban this" or "TUG" or "HISS" falls on deaf ears. Now I have an idea of what all those mean (TUG = Urban der der), but what has always sold me on a leo is not where they got them, or the parents, from, but what the leo looks like. I've also seen some breeders using names like HISS and TUG just to jack up the price on a leo that didn't have the color that would really give it such a high value. If it looks average, just cause it's the distant ex-cousin of an Urban line gecko really doesn't mean anything :p.

So, yes I agree the name drop is pretty annoying. I think instead of putting it on the gecko itself have it labeled in the section where you display your breeders. Most do that anyway, saying where they acquired their breeders from.

As for the CB, I've seen it but it hasn't really bothered me. I guess when it is used on Leo's it is sort of redundant. Is anyone really dealing with WC's anymore from wholesalers and such? I know there are a few out there, but they aren't exactly the popular method to get a leo now. Most get their leo's from PetsMorgue or PetCorpse (i.e. PetSmart and PetCo)...

What about this. Have you ever seen people label their leo's something like "het for Jungle" or "het for 'insert line-bred polygenic trait'"? That bugs me. I'm just now learning the whole genetics bit on leo's, learning fast though, and it just drives me crazy when people say something is het for something when there actually isn't really a het form for it...

B

Brian O

Well I don't think I name drop persoanlly. I mention the bloodlines because I know the were important to me when I made my purchases. If you have a TUG female you should be looking for a TUG male. It will give you the best results for color and consistency. Unless you are looking to outcross. I don't mention it on my available page because I think that my prices compared to the animals are a steal. Especially if I ever get the lighting down lol.
As the het for stripe thing I think you are kind of wrong with that. With line bred traits it kind of works like a het in that it isn't dominant and takes a couple of generations to breed out if the aren't both displaying the same traits.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Personally I think the KS ads you posted about are lame. They just do it as an eye catcher. Now stating what blood lines the leo came from is totally acceptable. As a matter of fact, if they aren't your own line it's a good sign of respect to acknowledge the source. Just my opinons...

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
As far as I know, there has been no true new WC in the US for something like 6 or 7 years. Now, if you have a 7 - 8 year old WC, you can sell WC offspring....but finding someone willing to part with thier actual WC would be pretty rare.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I know an exporter guy in Pakistan and I'd really like to import some wild caughts, but he only does them in lots of 400 at $7 a piece.

LeosForLess

I REALLY hate when sombody posts an Albino or SHTCTB or patty albino or somthing and says CB!!! or CBB blazing blizzards!! The chances of those happening are like 1/132430894102893284284208428432842842 (in the wild).

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Actually, I don't see a problem name-dropping unless it's not the truth. But, then again, I rarely see anyone selling geckos that are "GGG Lines"... LOL!

gko reptiles

A New Generation
The name dropping I don't mind as much as the

Me: "Excuse me sir, these are Mali and Niger uromastyx, right?"
Unnamed Vendor: "I dunno"
Me: "Well, do you know if they're male or female?"
Unnamed Vendor: "Nope"
Me: " IS THERE SOMEONE HERE THAT DOES?!"
Unnamed Vendor: "Probably not"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Felicia knows what I'm talking about!

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
If/when the bloodlines matter to me, I'll ask the seller what lines they are. (I ask that question quite a bit) However, if I wanted "Joe's Bloodlines", I'd likely go directly to "Joe".

Golden Gate Geckos said:
Actually, I don't see a problem name-dropping unless it's not the truth. But, then again, I rarely see anyone selling geckos that are "GGG Lines"... LOL!

That's probably because nobody wants to part with them :D

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I'm pretty sure they're not listed on CITES. My guess is that there isn't much need to import WC because the captive population is so immense.

EDIT: I'm checking at http://www.cites.org/ to see...

Last edited:

Arconna

I actually saw a place that mentioned that they had breeders from you Marcia :). But they didn't go off saying "hatchling 4 is from *blank* bloodline". I have two from them for bold stripes and I chose them cause they are absolutely gorgeous. ...I need to open a reptile petting zoo...

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
420Geckos said:
I'm pretty sure they're not listed on CITES. My guess is that there isn't much need to import WC because the captive population is so immense.

EDIT: I'm checking at http://www.cites.org/ to see...

No, I don't think that's it. I think it was something along the lines of the US not allowing imports from those countrys....or something like that. I'm sure someone knows. There HAS to be a reason the US doesn't see any more imports.

The population idea is a no go ... look at how many 100's of thousands of BPs get imported every year. There is certainly a large enough captive population of BPs, and they keep coming in.

Arconna

There's still a lot of wholesale importing going on, but I think for species like Leo's and Bearded Dragons and other staple reptile trade animals are practically out of that circle now. I think importing WC is reserved for the more rare species in the pet trade. But then there are also plenty of laws and such against importing certain species and what not (such as that New Zealand gecko that had a thread on here for a while--since they don't have many young in a season and they are endangered and practically unattainable, you're very lucky to see any for sale).
I'm curious what the interest is in WC Leo's anyway? Is it just to say "I have a WC Leo" or is there a breeding interest in them (such as potential genes that would otherwise be gone in the CB population)?

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
For me, it's to refresh the bloodline. Breeders have been trading bloodlines amongst each other for quite awhile now ... and some lines have been SERIOUSLY inbreed.

Doesn't Australia prohibit the exporting of beardies? This is stuff I heard awhile back, so I could be totally wrong. I'm going to start a new thread about the imports to see if someone knows.

J

Jacy

Marcia just give Jacy a few years.......

Golden Gate Geckos said:

But on the note from lines. We have horses and keeping track of lineage is just as important as finding the perfect match for horse and rider. I am sure compared to horses the gecko morph world is relatively new as far as tracking lines. But say I go to a second owner and I see they have a gecko that we just fall in love with because of their personality or color. A deciding factor could be whether they came from JoeBlow or someone that we know and has a great rep. Also if I am looking to introduce new blood in a line I don't want to pay for something and not knew where they originally came from. I have noticed that there is some inflation in price when certain breeders are mentioned. But that is with everything. Just like comparing a register horse to an unregistered horse. For instance one of my daughter's horses is unregistered and while she is an awesome barrel horse she would sell for less then the registered horse that is still in the beginning stages. Jacy and I have certain things that appeal to us and we just shop around until we find what fits into our budget along with all of the above criteria. But most of all we love our guys and girls.

D

Dee

Same here as what Jacy said, only in terms of rabbits... The ARBA registration papers we have for our purebred Mini Rex bunnies shows the name, registration info, and color variety for three generations back.

Another example? We have a Tremper Albino and two beautiful pattys that we purchased locally, and two SHTCTs and some Bells from Capital City Geckos. The CCG critters produced about 95% of the hatchlings we got this year; the Tremper produced two, the pattys, zip. Quality breeders produce quality animals. I'm not saying smaller-scale breeders aren't producing high quality as well, but agreed, if I have a choice between JoeBlow's geckos and CCG, HISS, or GGG lines, you know who I'm going to pick.

*Heeheehee Comments from the peanut gallery: Cory just said it's a good thing there's nothing wrong with JoeBlow geckos, because we ARE Joe Blow right now LOL!

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
LOL I totally appreciate wanting to know the bloodline of the gecko...I try to find out on every one I have. My beef was with the sellers that ride on the coat tails of the big boys in a major way, instead of doing their best to represent the animal on their own.

Like Paul said...if my main concern was to get some bloodline from XYZ breeder, I'd go directly to them. However, most of the time, I'm more concerned with the merits of the particular animal. So long as I'm confident that they were recieving the best care possible, I don't normally care if it came from Joe Blow or Mr. Bigshot.

Last edited:

Visit our friends