Sifting Mealworms

M

Mruro

Hello. I need the help of everyone here. I am now trying to feed about 80 geckos and its taking way too long to sift through the bedding to get the mealworms. I would like to hear from my fellow gecko owners on how they get the mealworms separated in order to feed the geckos.

The medium that i am using as bedding for the mealworms is purina chicken feed. I would like to still use this as the bedding, but would appreciate any ideas or routines. Thanks

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
It takes me less than 60 seconds to sift mealworms out of Pro Gutload (from Pro Geckos) to feed ~300 geckos. I use the metal-screened sand sifters (I think they're made by ESU) to separate the worms from the gutload. Piece of cake. :)

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I use Pro Gutload too and since it's mostly powdered it makes sifting a breeze like Paul said. I use an old school metal flower sifter, but I think it's time for an upgrade... Where'd you get your's Paul?

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I don't remember where I got them, but here's a link to the kind I have:
http://www.reptilesource.com/?item|ZM62300

It's made by Zoo Med, not ESU.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I use my own gutload for both crickets as feed and mealworm bedding, and only use enough at a time for them to eat in about 24-48 hours. Once the bedding turns to droppings in the mealworm container, it's very easy to sift using an old-school metal mesh strainer. After feeding the geckos, I just add more gutload to the remainder of the mealworms.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
PaulSage said:
It takes me less than 60 seconds to sift mealworms out of Pro Gutload (from Pro Geckos) to feed ~300 geckos. I use the metal-screened sand sifters (I think they're made by ESU) to separate the worms from the gutload. Piece of cake. :)

I do the exact same thing! It really doesn't take long (unless I want it to).

P

pawsfoot

Yea, my gutload is kinda like powdery flakes so when I sift through it it only takes a couple seconds to get enough for all my geckos to eat, but I only have 6 so what do I know.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
PaulSage said:
I don't remember where I got them, but here's a link to the kind I have:
http://www.reptilesource.com/?item|ZM62300

It's made by Zoo Med, not ESU.

Thanks Paul! I ordered 2... 1 for sifting bugs and 1 for sifting cat poo...

M

Mruro

Thanks for the Replies

I will definitely use everyone's suggestions about the gutload. It has been taking me about 1 hour lately to separate my mealworms. This has been a real drag on my evening social life with the family. Thank you very much for the input.
Peter McCarthy

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I do the exact same thing as Paul Sage. In fact, I even have the same exact gutload and sifter!! :) It's nice! Only pain I see is when they molt. I also sift those up too :( Anyone got secrets to that?

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
RaiQuee said:
I do the exact same thing as Paul Sage. In fact, I even have the same exact gutload and sifter!! :) It's nice! Only pain I see is when they molt. I also sift those up too :( Anyone got secrets to that?

The molts usually end up at one end/corner of the tubs due to the mealworms' wiggling around near the warmer end of the tub, so I just hold that end of the tub over the trash can and blow them out. Doing a few isn't so bad, but after about 5-6 I get a little light-headed. I've wondered if using a can of compressed air (from a distance) would be safe, but for now I'll just settle with the dizziness. lol

eyelids

Bells Rule!
PaulSage said:
The molts usually end up at one end/corner of the tubs due to the mealworms' wiggling around near the warmer end of the tub, so I just hold that end of the tub over the trash can and blow them out. Doing a few isn't so bad, but after about 5-6 I get a little light-headed. I've wondered if using a can of compressed air (from a distance) would be safe, but for now I'll just settle with the dizziness. lol

LOL! I was going to say the same thing about blowing them into the trash. :main_laugh: It can be messy though...

Visit our friends