Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Who cares what breeders do

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
A different website has an 'Ethics Forum' to discuss stuff like well-known breeders selling mutant geckos as "dwarfs" for a whole lot of money, etc. Do you think this is a good idea?

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I think it is a great idea. Not only will it be a place for ethics related posts, but it would draw others to conclusions which may or may not alter their perspective on ethics. All in all, yes, there should be an 'Ethics Forum'.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I think it's a good idea Marcia. Care should be taken that it doesn't become a "bash the breeder" forum. I think having a sticky with photos of known undesireable traits (along with a description) would be awesome. People hear of them, but just don't know what it looks like because such geckos are normally kept out of the public eye.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
I think its a good idea but I would want to post the breeders name and just make a rule of facts only no bashing. Without the name it would be harder to know who to stay away from.

BalloonzForU

dragonflyreptiles said:
I think its a good idea but I would want to post the breeders name and just make a rule of facts only no bashing. Without the name it would be harder to know who to stay away from.

I agree, why even have an ethics forum when you don't know who it is that is under discussion? I like the idea of having one, but I understand not being able to post the name of the breeders due to legal issues.

I agree with Felica and Wendy.It doesn't do any good to have the forum without the breeders name,because no one will no who to stay from and stuff so I mean that is just my opinion

*~Michael~*

gixxer3420

I think if you post the name of the breeder its just going to turninto a bash forum. I've seen this done many times on other forums and it doesn't work. Plus you are going to have people post about breeders that are fine but certain people may not llke them for one reason or another and then it turns into a useless forum. i really don't see the need to have this forum but if you do there shouldn't be any names nor should there be any useless bashing. Just my 2 cents.

LeosForLess

I think the name should be included. Who cares if it ends up being a "bash" which it probably wont. I mean if they breed for dwarfism or somthing bad like that, they deserve to be bashed.
And on the note, many of the morphs we breed for are defects. Albinio humans cant drive, the 9 foot tall man lived 22 years old, but then patty and blizzard the only thing is camoflauge which has no il effects in captivity.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I think the best use of this forum would be to discuss topics about if something would be considered a desirable trait or not, and other ethical issues such as breeding size, culling, etc. I think breeder names should be kept out of it. To have them only invites bashing. We have the business inquiry forum to "out" unethical breeders. If someone can be shown to be unethical in some way (bad business / bad husbandry / bad breeding ethics) then THAT is where such a post should be.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Grinning Geckos said:
I think the best use of this forum would be to discuss topics about if something would be considered a desirable trait or not, and other ethical issues such as breeding size, culling, etc. I think breeder names should be kept out of it. To have them only invites bashing. We have the business inquiry forum to "out" unethical breeders. If someone can be shown to be unethical in some way (bad business / bad husbandry / bad breeding ethics) then THAT is where such a post should be.

Well put Shanti. :main_thumbsup:

marula

yes, i complilty agree with shanti..if some don't have a good opinion about some breeders they can post in business inquiry their experience...and if we have a discussion about ethical problem is not correct put the name of the breeder...

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Grinning Geckos said:
I think the best use of this forum would be to discuss topics about if something would be considered a desirable trait or not, and other ethical issues such as breeding size, culling, etc.
Shanti is right on, and this is really what I was aiming at. We have a forum for Business Practices, so that is where specific breeders (and other reptile related businesses) would be mentioned... either good or bad. Here are some hypothetical topics for an 'Ethics Forum' in addition to those already mentioned:

- Should breeders make it known that their geckos are 'possible' hets?

- Is it 'ethical' for breeders to sell huge lots of Blazing Blizzards to stores without letting them know what strain the albino is?

- Is it 'ethical' for someone to post something negative about a business without first discussing the issue with them?

- Is it 'ethical' to name an existing morph something different just because you produced it too?

- Is it 'ethical' for a breeder to sell a gecko to someone else after you told them you wanted to purchase it?

Anyway, you catch my drift. It doesn't have to be anything that names anyone, just a forum where ethics can be discussed.

LeosForLess

Golden Gate Geckos said:
Shanti is right on, and this is really what I was aiming at. We have a forum for Business Practices, so that is where specific breeders (and other reptile related businesses) would be mentioned... either good or bad. Here are some hypothetical topics for an 'Ethics Forum' in addition to those already mentioned:

- Should breeders make it known that their geckos are 'possible' hets?

- Is it 'ethical' for breeders to sell huge lots of Blazing Blizzards to stores without letting them know what strain the albino is?

- Is it 'ethical' for someone to post something negative about a business without first discussing the issue with them?

- Is it 'ethical' to name an existing morph something different just because you produced it too?

- Is it 'ethical' for a breeder to sell a gecko to someone else after you told them you wanted to purchase it?

Anyway, you catch my drift. It doesn't have to be anything that names anyone, just a forum where ethics can be discussed.
that seems perfect

gko reptiles

A New Generation
I see where everyone is coming from. I do kind of think that names should be included though...let's say something happens, like "someone is trying to sell curly tailed geckos as a new morph", and then they also bring it up into the business forum and name the breeder. Then everyone is going to know exactly who he/she is talking about; which then kind of makes the forum pointless. And what if you never had a business transaction with this person, but you want people to know who it is because you feel that people should not do business with this person because of the issue? I think names should be able to be included! I see slander as a problem, but isn't that what mediators are for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visit our friends