urban gecko snow?

tdemp

hey guys on urban gecko's site they say there snow is dominent what does that mean? It i not a mack snow then right? any info on it i would appreciate thanks

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
The Urban Geckos site suggests that they are totally unrelated to any other bloodlines and were obtained as a wild caught group 5 years ago. If you read further you will notice that Craig states that when bred to a normal, 50% of the offspring will be snows, which means that the gene is Dominant (provided the other 50% of the offspring are 100% het for snow). There is no known Super form as with the Mack Snows, which are Co-dominant. Therefore, as far as anyone knows, the Urban Gecko Snows are unrelated to both the Mack Snows and the Line Bred Snows. I had heard that some people were going to cross the Macks and Urban Geckos, but I have not heard any results of the offspring let alone if a successful breeding of the two lines has even happened yet.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Franks_Geckos said:
The Urban Geckos site suggests that they are totally unrelated to any other bloodlines and were obtained as a wild caught group 5 years ago. If you read further you will notice that Craig states that when bred to a normal, 50% of the offspring will be snows, which means that the gene is Dominant (provided the other 50% of the offspring are 100% het for snow). There is no known Super form as with the Mack Snows, which are Co-dominant. Therefore, as far as anyone knows, the Urban Gecko Snows are unrelated to both the Mack Snows and the Line Bred Snows. I had heard that some people were going to cross the Macks and Urban Geckos, but I have not heard any results of the offspring let alone if a successful breeding of the two lines has even happened yet.

Actually, that's not quite how dominant genes operate. You're correct in saying that when breeding a snow to a normal, 1/2 would be snows (provided that snow is het and not homo). With a dominant trait, the homozygous and heterozygous forms are phenotypically identical. You can't tell the difference without breeding.

A homozygous (Super) snow would produce 100% snows (that are all heterozygous) when breed to a normal.

A heterozygous snow (still looks snow) would produce 50% when breed to the normal.

ANY normal looking babies from the het x normal would be 100% normal.

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
Grinning Geckos said:
Actually, that's not quite how dominant genes operate. You're correct in saying that when breeding a snow to a normal, 1/2 would be snows (provided that snow is het and not homo). With a dominant trait, the homozygous and heterozygous forms are phenotypically identical. You can't tell the difference without breeding.

A homozygous (Super) snow would produce 100% snows (that are all heterozygous) when breed to a normal.

A heterozygous snow (still looks snow) would produce 50% when breed to the normal.

ANY normal looking babies from the het x normal would be 100% normal.

I agree. I probably should have been more clear that the Homozygous and Het forms are indistinguishable from each other.

Visit our friends