Anyone want Gmail?

Herpcam

I did this last year on the Fauna LG forum...Does anyone here want a Gmail invite? If you don't know what it is, check out www.gmail.com. It's Google mail and it offers about 2.5 gb of storage and many other features that make it one of the best (if not the best free web-based email service available.

It's technically still in Beta, and invitation only. Although I believe there may now be a way to sign up with a text message to your phone. Let me know with a PM and I'll send an invite as soon as I get it.

T

TripleMoonsExotic

Gmail doesn't work for me half the time. Messages that should don't get through. They just get lost in cyber space.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
TripleMoonsExotic said:
Gmail doesn't work for me half the time. Messages that should don't get through. They just get lost in cyber space.

Hmmm... I've never had that happen to me.

L

LadyGecko

I've been using gmail for around a yr now and I love it
I don't usually have anymore problems with it than i have with any other web mail- I have AOL/MSN/YAHOO/SBC accounts and I like Gmail the best and it is my primary e-mail
It also saves any pics that you send with it and with the massive amount of storage you really don't have to delete anything with normal email usage
:D
Sandy

T

TripleMoonsExotic

I just tested the account again today (emailed the account from 3 of my other accounts), it still doesn't work.

I'll stick with the email accounts linked with my websites. ;)

Herpcam

TripleMoonsExotic said:
I just tested the account again today (emailed the account from 3 of my other accounts), it still doesn't work.

I'll stick with the email accounts linked with my websites. ;)

Stephanie,

That's really strange. I've used Gmail for well over a year now and have had zero issues. Try emailing the Gmail people to see if there's already a cure for your issue. They also have a forum at http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion. I know this is a dumb question and I'm not trying to offend you, but have you looked in your Spam folder in Gmail?

By the way, I just checked out your websites and they look great in IE. But, the layouts are skewed in Firefox. You should fix those because about 1/4 of your visitors are probably using Firefox now.

If you figure out what is wrong with your emails not getting into Gmail, please let me know so if I find another person with the same problem, I'll know what to tell them.

T

TripleMoonsExotic

Yup, I've checked in the Spam folder. Nada. I'm not really too concerned with it anyway, I have 4 other email accounts useing my webhosting. I'll shoot over an email to them so they at least know their is a problem & see if they have a solution that I can post here.

By the way, I just checked out your websites and they look great in IE. But, the layouts are skewed in Firefox. You should fix those because about 1/4 of your visitors are probably using Firefox now.

Yup, I know it's skewed in FireFox (Opera too). I do not design my websites around every single browser available. IE is the most used (my counter tracks browser useage, FireFox users on my websites are less then 2%). I don't use FireFox or Opera.

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
I would try clearing your cache. A full web browser cache can interfere with Gmail's features and performance. You may have to do it more than once and restart as well.

TripleMoonsExotic said:
Yup, I know it's skewed in FireFox (Opera too). I do not design my websites around every single browser available. IE is the most used (my counter tracks browser useage, FireFox users on my websites are less then 2%). I don't use FireFox or Opera.
Not to be a jerk, but I feel this is a really poor decision/attitude. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to program for all of the browsers. Your counter may say otherwise (since it's pertaining to you) but in the past two years Mozilla/Firefox has become very popular. Firefox is now used by 15-20% of the US. Opera, Safari, Camino, and Netscape have very small percentages. Yes, IE is the top dog, but what about the 25% of people that aren't using it?

IE is the most forgiving browser out there when designing. Netscape is definitely the hardest, especially with CSS. It is really easy to design for all browsers though. The only main issues you'll run into are input fields and scrollbars, as they vary from browser and platform. Consistency to the pixel is impossible with them, unless you create multiple versions.

Sorry for the rant, but I've always been a fan of designing for the lowest common denominator and compatibility for everyone. If you don't do it for yourself, at least do it for your clients.

Herpcam

TripleMoonsExotic said:

I agree with Ryan on this, and I'm sure your clients do as well. Like I said, though, your sites really look great. I'd guess that if a potential client saw your work in Firefox, they may turn to another designer due to you only designing for IE. There seem to be many references online that cover designing for multiple browsers.

Either way, I also have email accounts linked with my websites, but since I travel a bit, Gmail has come in very handy on the road.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
o0 Ryan 0o said:
Not to be a jerk, but I feel this is a really poor decision/attitude. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to program for all of the browsers. Your counter may say otherwise (since it's pertaining to you) but in the past two years Mozilla/Firefox has become very popular. Firefox is now used by 15-20% of the US. Opera, Safari, Camino, and Netscape have very small percentages. Yes, IE is the top dog, but what about the 25% of people that aren't using it?

IE is the most forgiving browser out there when designing. Netscape is definitely the hardest, especially with CSS. It is really easy to design for all browsers though. The only main issues you'll run into are input fields and scrollbars, as they vary from browser and platform. Consistency to the pixel is impossible with them, unless you create multiple versions.

Sorry for the rant, but I've always been a fan of designing for the lowest common denominator and compatibility for everyone. If you don't do it for yourself, at least do it for your clients.

I apologize for adding to the off-topic-ness, but I always wondered why certain websites didn't line-up or look right, but I didn't think that the browser I was using had anything to do with it. So, I guess this explains it! I'll have to try re-visiting some of those sites in IE just to see what they're actually like. lol (I always use Firefox)

N

nora

yah i hate the fact that my website looks ok in IE, but messed up in firefox.. ive given up on trying to make it work for both browsers, to the point of just using simple and un-complex designs..lol (yes im that lazy)

but i personally like firefox 20x more than IE... there's just so many vulnerabilities with IE and whatnot.. plus i hardly get any pop-ups with firefox.

Oh and can we say TABBED BROWSING!!!

T

TripleMoonsExotic

For anyone that's interested...

The FireFox extension to view websites that are not compatible with FireFox is called "IE Tabs." However, you have to manually enter the websites. It's kinda funny that they had to go back to IE to fix something that FireFox should do in the first place.

Visit our friends