These 2 pics are of my 7' yellow
yelloconda.jpg
snakepics008.jpg

This one is of my baby green
0603061501a.jpg

And these are of my newest one..a 7' hybrid
0606061014.jpg
0606061018.jpg

Any other conda keepers with pics to share?

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
I had a yellow Anaconda once, evil! The Green anacondas are tame though. Do the yellows tame down as they grow, I only had mine for a short period of time, was told they don't tame at all.

D

dizzmaldan420

My yellow is basically like a really big pet rock. I could have rat scent all over my hands and reach in and flick her on the nose without worrying too much about what she'd do. My baby green is a little on the unpredictable side. It took over a month to figure out what he wanted to eat but now that he's feeding he's using his new found energy to snap at me occasionally. I think he'll tame down nicely though. I've only had the hybrid for a couple of days now but she's fairly hostile.
I think you may have it kinda backwards, Jeane. I've found that the yellows are more likely to be docile than the greens. That seems to be the general concensus (except for those that say they're ALL evil). But I've only had 4 so far so my experience is limited.

D

dizzmaldan420

Yeah yellows average about half the size of greens I believe. I've heard female yellows can get up to like 12-14 feet but I've never actually seen one longer than 10 or so. What I'm really curious about is what kind of growth potential I can expect from the hybrid. It's only 2 years old and already 7' so she might end up being a monster.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
dizzmaldan420 said:
My yellow is basically like a really big pet rock. I could have rat scent all over my hands and reach in and flick her on the nose without worrying too much about what she'd do. My baby green is a little on the unpredictable side. It took over a month to figure out what he wanted to eat but now that he's feeding he's using his new found energy to snap at me occasionally. I think he'll tame down nicely though. I've only had the hybrid for a couple of days now but she's fairly hostile.
I think you may have it kinda backwards, Jeane. I've found that the yellows are more likely to be docile than the greens. That seems to be the general concensus (except for those that say they're ALL evil). But I've only had 4 so far so my experience is limited.

Just asked my roommate, your right, it was a green one! Evil little bugger! Fun to watch it eat though!

Ian S.

I've always found the greens to be very calm. The yellows though.. oh boy I had a few at the store I worked at, and man they were so darn mean.

D

dizzmaldan420

It's a shame there's not that much demand for them. Maybe if there were more successive generations of cbb condas being produced from docile parents, there would be more calm condas around. I think if more people could interact with ones that don't have the "typical anaconda attitude" they might just fall in love with them like I have. They can be really cool pets with all kinds of personality if you're lucky enough to find a good one.

Ian S.

:D I am a firm believer that an animal will only be as tame as it's owner's devotion to tame it, but dang I spent alot of painful time with yellows and greens alike. Don't get me wrong I've delt with alot of sweetheart green and yellow anacondas. The meanest snake I've ever seen to this day though was a macklots python(morelia mackloti). His name was george. That damn snake from the time he was a baby till about four years old, sat at the front glass of his cage and snapped at things that didn't move let alone things that did. 24/7 that damn snake was curled into an "S" position. LOL... to make a long story short when he was 6 ft. long he bit and wrapped up my hand and wrist. I dunked him underwater in a fish tank for about 6-7 min or so till he let go. I put him back into his cage and from that day on he became the infamouse, friendly, curious George that came along on my educational program for kids. He was sweet as pie.:main_laugh:

Last edited:
D

dizzmaldan420

On another site I saw a discussion about the possibility that a calm disposition was a genetic trait. And some people think if you breed calm snakes that the offspring are more likely to be docile as well. I agree that you're only gonna get as much out of your snake as you're willing to put into it, but I'd like to test out the genetic trait theory with my yellow if I can find a male that's equally passive.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
That hybrid would be an interesting one to see grow.

Never know, could turn out to be a giant like a Liger. Maybe not, but definatley keep us posted.

D

dizzmaldan420

""Never know, could turn out to be a giant like a Liger""

I was pondering the same thing myself. I don't know anything about an anaconda's genomes and which parent carries the genes that limit size, but it could end up being a situation like the Liger for all I know. My hybrid is supposedly only 2 years old and damn near 8 feet already. I've also seen ads for other hybrids that were close to 10 years old and only like 11 feet...so who knows. I haven't had the hybrid outside since I got my new camera..but here are a few new pics of my yellow.

powershot097.jpg

powershot087.jpg

bc68712c.jpg

D

dizzmaldan420

new addition

Here's a new little "guy?" I picked up tonight. He has a great temperment, all kinds of personality and is pretty active for an anaconda. I need to stop being such a wuss and just learn to use the probes I got at the last show.
powershot151.jpg

powershot157.jpg

D

dizzmaldan420

Not here in Pa. The state of pennsylvania only regulates indigenous species. Each municipality is free to make it's own guidelines regarding exotic pets, though. As far as I know, anacondas aren't looked at any differently than burms or any other larger constrictor.

Visit our friends