Albino not just a simple recessive trait?

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
I was speaking with a Josh Ellis on AIM this morning he was sharing with me how he has produced 7 leos so for from male Bell albino to female het bell albino. 5 of which where albinos 4 where incubated for males and 3 for female I believe the males where all albinos and the females 1 albino. So he thinking that maybe albinism is not predetermined that the eggs tempature, humidity and other things may affect the production of an albino. My thought of this was only 7 leos were produced had 100 been hatched he'd likely see more of his 50% albino which is what should be seen. Also it would have been discovered long ago that you have a high % of albinos hatching out as male temps than female. I personally didn't see how his thought would be possible but I'd thought I get the topic going.
Thanks
Xavier

Last edited:
C

Cryptly

I think it's just an odd coincidence that there was only one female albino. With the numbers of albinos being bred yearly, I would think that if there was something more to it, it would've shown up by now.

bro paul

brightalbino.com
I'd have to go check my records on the male vs. female topic...but I have had a much higher percentage of albinos (albino x het) produced from the Bell line hets than my Tremper line hets. I'm sure it's just coincidence, but it I thought it strange.

Last edited:

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
Ian S. said:
It sounds like incubation temperature is the culprit.:)
How is that so? I strongly dissagree even if 20 albinos where hatched from het to het breeding it would be sheer luck you need larger numbers 100 or more to see the % how they actually play. You have to remember each leo would have 50% being albino from albino x het albino breeding not not every 1 in 2 will be albino/het albino.
Xavier

C

Cryptly

I agree with Xavier, a larger group would be needed to draw conclusions from.

Anybody want to post their results from albino x het pairings? The more the better. :)

robin

gfrom my experience. i have noticed more female albinos thanj male ... all of the hybinos i have produced to date have been female and when i am breeding the albinos i split the clutches 50/50 as far as the number of eggs incubating in a season ... from those same breedings i tend to get more male super hypos het bell ... weird.

Ian S.

ExcessiveHerps said:
How is that so? I strongly dissagree even if 20 albinos where hatched from het to het breeding it would be sheer luck you need larger numbers 100 or more to see the % how they actually play. You have to remember each leo would have 50% being albino from albino x het albino breeding not not every 1 in 2 will be albino/het albino.
Xavier
Just to clear things up a bit, I was talking about the male/female ratio. Not the % of albinos hatched.:main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends