Reptivite

T

TheHiddenGecko

I went out and got some Zoo Med's Reptivite because I remember it being a good supplement. The bottle says Reptile Vitamins but the two main ingredients are Dicalcium Phosphate and Calcium Carbonate. Should I use this as a calcium supplement or more of a multivitamin supplement?

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
I use it on top of the calcium but I have noticed that it kills the mealies and crickets as does mineral so make sure not to feed out more than will be eaten in 24 hours. Not a big deal with crix but with a mealie dish feed less more often when using reptivite.

T

TheHiddenGecko

So if this were to replace the calcium or the multivitamins, which would it take the place of more?

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
It would replace the multivite, I use it as the multivite in addition to the calcium, rotating it with Vionate, Mineral and sometimes Herptivite. Mineral is more trace elements though, no vitamins.

C

chad e

i use reptivite as well. i beleive it can be used as a multivitamin and a calcium supplement. its basically a multivitamin supplement with lots of calcium included.

is there not enough of something in there to be a stand alone supplement?

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
The proper lever of calcium to phos is 2:1 or less, phosphorous is needed in the diet but too much can cause calcium absorption problems.

From thegeckospot.com site:
Phosphorous is required to derive energy from carbohydrates and fats and for protein production. However, too much phosphorous is not a good thing, as it also inhibits the absorption of calcium. A well-balanced ratio of calcium and phosphorous is essential for bone formation and stability.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Reptivite probably cab be used a an all in once supplement if you have a dish of pure calcium at all times. I just go on the safe side and rotate supplements so they do not get too much of any one thing. Too much of a vitamin can be just as bad as too little.

Visit our friends