red lights?

D

dwarfgouramis

I was just wondering if red lgiths are better then normal lights? someone told me that they can be left on all the time with out bothering my leo, is that true? and do they give off more heat then normal lights?

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Red lights actually don't give off as much heat as normal lights do; BUT leo's cannot see red light, so they are ideal for night viewing!

D

dwarfgouramis

ok, thanks.

so I should only have them for night viewing then? and just use normal light the rest of the time?

eyelids

Bells Rule!
dwarfgouramis said:
ok, thanks.

so I should only have them for night viewing then? and just use normal light the rest of the time?

Leopard Geckos are nocturnal; there's no need for a light. Use an under tank heater or heat tape for heat.

D

dwarfgouramis

ok, yes.. I guess my question was a bit confusing, lol I ment is it ok to leave the red light on all the time?

gko reptiles

A New Generation
When we used to use lights, we had a heat lamp for the hot side and a red lamp for the "cool" side; (it kept the cool side around 75 degrees). Or, we also had some set up with under tank heaters and a red lamp. In both cases, the red lamp stayed on 24/7... but once you get enough geckos, your electric bill is going to through the ceiling! You can indeed leave the red lamp on all the time, but it may not do the heating job that you thought it would. Also, I wouldn't go any higher than a 60 watt red lamp. Let's put it this way: if you want the red lamp, it's okay to leave it on 24/7, also, I would keep them on UTH's (instead of lighting), and finally, just make sure whatever you choose, to watch the temps and just make an educated guess. Whatever you think is best for your geckos, as long as they are getting the right temperature gradient, they should be okay! :) Oh yeah, I would also get 2 seperate thermometers (just to make sure that the temps are correct on both sides of the tank day AND night.)

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I have installed red lights on my ceiling (60W ones), they are turned on when the sun goes down, so I can view my geckos. I think UTH + thermostat work much better for heating.

N

Nastynotch

now im talking about my white spotted gecko here.

but i use a regular light (that i sometimes keep on at night). and it usually keeps my 10 gallon tank at about 70degrees (sometimes bellow).

so i also use a heating pad that i can keep on a low setting to bring the temp in between 75-80 degrees.

it works well because i can watch him at night when i want too and keep the temp. at a nice setting when i dont.

my gecko is supose to be night dwelling. but hes gotten to the point that he commanly comes out in the day too. so i dont have the troubles of veiwing him with a red light.

the bottam line is to keep the temp. were it needs to be i guess. if you can keep the temp. up with a non heat producing light, then i say go for it.
just be sure to have the usual hides and crap.

D

dwarfgouramis

ok, I've sitched back to regular lights so that the temp will stay up ( the red lights weren't doing to job) thanks for all the suggestions!

GoGo

I'm Watching You
I use red lights, and their awesome, except in the winter then you need a uth also. But most of the time its perfect and keeps the tank good temperature.

R

redburmese

My Leopard Gecko loves the red light and it works as a good light if you ever need to see your room in the night, plus it looks cool. When my red lightbulb finally blew, I replaced it with an ordinairy lightbulb. My gecko hated it. As soon as a got another red light, she returned to basking and seemed much more comfortable. I recommend it.

S

sportbike_rob

in my fat tail tank i have a uth+thermostat setup on his warm side, and keep the red light (50 watt) on 24/7 about 6 inches above the lid on his cool side. it keeps his cool side a few degrees warmer than room temp (about 75-78) while still bringing a good viewing light to the whole tank. it works well for me, and my fat tail dont mind it at all.

ReptileMan27

UTHs are the best for heating leos, belly heat is the best for them to digest food etc.. Red lights or infared dont give off much light and shouldnt stress the leos and look cool. Your main heating source should be the UTH but the red or infared light can be used for viewing or extra heat if you need it but an UTH should be fine for heating.

Visit our friends