1. Are you a Gecko enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Gecko enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your geckos and enclosures and have a great time with other Gecko enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

I need help

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos - Eublepharis' started by LeoTheGecko, Jan 25, 2019.

1. LeoTheGecko

LeoTheGecko Gecko Egg

Hi there! I have a leopard gecko named Leo, he is between 8 and 10 years old and I am his 3rd owner. I have had him for about a week now. This morning I noticed he was trying to bite and lick something on his tail but he could quite reach. I took a look and it looks like he has a brown piece of dry skin or something stuck between where his tail and body meet. It seems to really be bothering him and I don’t know how to help.

Out of curiosity I also looked up information on geckos feces - I read that they have 2 parts - a white and brown. I also read that it is not good if the white part is a yellowish colour. I noticed that it was a bit yellow.

Help!

Attached Files:

2. acpart

acpart Gecko Grandparent 3 Year Member

Nice looking gecko. Sometimes male geckos have sperm plugs that get stuck in the vent and that could be it. Pull gently and it will come out. If it looks big and swollen it could be something else. If you're not sure, post a picture of it.

Aliza
  3. LeoTheGecko

LeoTheGecko Gecko Egg

Okay thank you!

This isn’t a picture of Leo but in this photo I have indicated where it was located - any ideas?

Attached Files:

4. acpart

acpart Gecko Grandparent 3 Year Member

The sperm plug and the prolapsed hemipenis are in the same place, right where you show it. If you're seeing a brownish thing that looks like dried mucous (if you'll excuse the graphic description) it's a sperm plug and if you pull it gently it will come out. If it's a big swollen purplish reddish thing (which I think is a lot less likely because otherwise you'd probably really be freaking out) the gecko needs to see the vet right away.

Aliza