1. Are you a Gecko enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Gecko enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your geckos and enclosures and have a great time with other Gecko enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Incubator for crested gecko's

Discussion in 'Gecko Breeding' started by Crestedgecko's4lyf, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Crestedgecko's4lyf

Crestedgecko's4lyf Hatchling Gecko

Hi I was wondering if i should use the reptibator incubator for crested gecko eggs .I want to buy everything for my crested's before i buy them and have their eggs .Again my question is if i should get the reptibator or a hova bator
    -caitlin
  2. Amanda1

Amanda1 Adult Gecko 3 Year Member

You don't need an incubator, room temp is fine and most people just keep the eggs in deli cups. Not sure about specifics like using vermiculite or whatever, but hopefully someone will chime in soon. I think jetfire has posted something about this before but I can't remember where...
    josh likes this.
  3. Crestedgecko's4lyf

Thanks what do you reccomend for the babies like where should i keep them I have seen videos where people keep them in storage containers but i don't know what i should use ?
    josh likes this.
  4. Josh

Josh Administrator Staff Member 3 Year Member

A storage container is a cheap and easy way to go. Also super easy to clean out...
  5. jetfire

jetfire Adult Gecko 3 Year Member

I have used disposable tupperware containers, and have always just used the coconut coir bedding for everything (it works great for cage substrate and incubation medium).I just put the eggs in the top of the closet, and start looking for babies after 75-80 days or so.
  6. Crestedgecko's4lyf

sounds good :D
  7. Geckotopia

Geckotopia Adult Gecko

I use vermiculite, It's been successful so far. My hatchrite dried out fast. I put the eggs in deli cups and am keeping my babies in critter keepers. I may switch to storage containers as I have 12 eggs incubating and 2 just hatched....my ladies have been busy.

I have considered an incubator as I'm a little anal and I hate temp swing in my Gecko Room. I'll come home and find them at 79 when I prefer to have them at 70-72.... it's not terrible, but I don't like it. I want to say I'm looking at the one from from exo terra, a little extreme for cresties but I like the cooling feature since I live in southern Cali.
  8. jetfire

Look at the bright side- eggs incubated in the upper 70's hatch faster than ones incubated at lower temps. Granted, lower temp incubation tends to produce slightly larger hatchings, but I think that's just from the extra week or so that they're waiting to pop out.my incubation temps average in the mid 70's, with plenty of swings up and down (never over 80, never under 70)...last year I went 23 for 26, this year it was 17 for 17, so I think slight temp swings are a good thing. Now if I could just get my garg eggs to hatch with any sort of reliability, I'll be set...
  9. Geckotopia

Geckotopia Adult Gecko

Thats good to hear actually- I was worried about the swing. My first egg ever stayed at 75 consistently, hatched right at 60 days and died.... I slowed the temp after that because I was afraid I'd loose more babies..... it's possible I worry too much.
  10. jetfire

Worrying too much is way too easy to do.once the eggs plump up about a week or so before they hatch, i'm checking on them at least 3 times a day.I had one female who's first clutch took well over 3 months to hatch,I think it was around 115 days or so. I had actually given up on them, but hadn't gotten around to tossing them, because they still looked ok. She laid 2 other clutches that hatched before the first one, it was so weird. This was them
  11. jetfire

2011-10-25_00-52-00_849.jpg the pic didn't want to load the first time,had to try again.I blame my phone (actually probably operator error)
  12. Geckotopia

Geckotopia Adult Gecko

Oh what cuties. My first successful went 85 days. I've also got two clutches from Olive Oil (the mom) before they hatched. I think my next babies should be from my buckskin Laverne and my super dalmation- Johnny Bravo.
  13. Styx

Styx Adult Gecko

I apologize if I am beating a dead horse with my reply, but this is just what I do.

I use straight perlite, soaked in water then squeeze it tightly in your fist so it makes a ball, like a rice ball, and then I put it into a semi-clear plastic box I got at a craft store made for beading I think. It's got little boxes in it that are the perfect size for two eggs - one clutch. Then on the lid above the slot I put a piece of tape and write down the names of the parents and when the eggs were laid. I keep mine at room temp.
  14. Crestedgecko's4lyf

Yeah i read in my crested gecko book to mix together vermiculite and perlite for a better hatch soil i think i will use that and i am thinking about buying a incubator to just make sure i have the right temp. and everything will be more observed that way :)
  15. Crestedgecko's4lyf

cute gecko's :)