My Turners Gecko Laid Eggs - HELP!

Goliath59nph

I picked up a pair of adult Turners Geckos this Fall and have them in a 30 gallon tank. They are doing great, but roughly 2 weeks ago I noticed them digging. They dug out the area underneath their main hide, and then filled it all in again. Ever since then the male has stayed in the hide, not even coming out to eat. The female on the other hand has been eating voraciously! Yesterday I got curious, and moved the hide. After picking him up and moving him aside, I gently dug into the substrate, only to find TWO EGGS! I figured this might happen, and I don't have any idea how to care for them!

Ever since I found the eggs, the male has failed to return to the main hide. I am worried I messed things up by finding them and I really want them to hatch. I would love some tips from anyone who has experience with this subject. :)

Should I leave the eggs in the terrarium or move them to a separate container?
Is it normal for the male to stop eating?
How long will it take for the eggs to hatch?

Anyway, thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated!

P.S. - They may be Bibrons... they were sold as Bibrons but I naturally assumed they were Turners since Bibrons are so rare.

- Goliath59nph -

robin

I don't know anything bout them but that's very cool as far as the behavioral part as if the male was guarding the eggs. If I remember correctly tokay gecko males will guard eggs

touch 13

Euble_Rhac_Gekko
Goliath, Ive been wanting to breed these animals soon as i've kept a male for over 2 years now. I find it very interesting with the male and his tendancies. I know that every gecko is different but this is exciting info! When you approached the eggs, did the male show any signs of aggression? Like robin said with tokays, they do protect their eggs, and they protect with their teeth! It could be coincidence but it also could be their natural tendancies.

information from a previous thread : http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php/75002-My-Bibron-s-Geckos

100yan: "I use a box filled in with sand incubate the eggs between 26 and 29 C (79-84 F):
As the eggs have hard shells, I incubate them in dry or almost dry perilite. I increase slightly the humidity just before the hatch of the babies, because in this way it is easier for them to shed for first time."

Goliath59nph

When I moved the male to remove the eggs, he wasn't aggressive, but he definitely didn't want to move. He was rigid like a board and didn't run away like he normally would. I don't know if he was guarding the eggs or just likes that hide, maybe a little of both? :p

Hey, thanks for the link to that thread touch 13! Based on his success I would say he's doing something right haha.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to go ahead and remove the eggs from the terrarium and set up an incubator. Here is my current setup, someone please let me know if any of this is wrong!

Small tupperware with holes in the lid and sides; vermiculite substrate. Heating pad underneath tupperware all inside a styrofoam box. Humidity 85%; daytime temperature 84 degrees; nighttime temperature upper 70's.

I'm currently conflicted on humidity, since I've now seen people incubate in 80-90% humidity as well as in dry substrate. If anyone knows for sure what it should be, please let me know!

Regardless, this is a trial run. I've never done this before so I'm hoping I get lucky. I'm sure if things don't work out more eggs will be laid in the future. :)

One final thought of real importance!

My male hasn't been eating much, if at all for the last few weeks. When he was sitting on the eggs he would hardly come out, and now that they are gone he is in permanent hiding. He doesn't appear to be losing weight, but I'm still worried. I usually feed 5 crickets every other day, should I throw more in? Today the female came out right away and ate all 5 lol, I'm afraid the male isn't even getting a chance to eat!

Well thats all for now, all help I can get would be appreciated!

- Goliath59nph -

touch 13

Euble_Rhac_Gekko
The name is Lee :)

A wet hide made out of a plastic box with a hole and half-filled with wet vermiculite is used permanently, the animals love to shed and lay clutches in such a place. Females should not be put with males before 12 months of age. Mating occurs through April to June and courtship can cause wounds, as the males turn quite aggressive. females lay eggs regularly, about a month after the first mating.

a resting period during 2 months in winter, temperatures are decreased by about 5°C/ 8°F, lighting is only 10 hours per day but they continue being fed though at a slower rate.Eggs are hard-shelled and almost round, about 8-10 mm in diameter, and usually laid in pairs. Amphigonia retardata enables females to lay eggs without being fertilized again between the clutches. Eggs hatch after 54 to 75 days, depending if you apply a night drop of the temperatures or not (I do, I think this gives off hardier hatchlings). Eggs are put on dry sand; the sand is occasionally moistened with some drops (but don't moist the eggs). Under these conditions you should have a hatching rate approx 90%. almost entirely buried in the substrate, day temperatures of 80 to 87°F (26-30°C) with a night drop of a few °C/°F.

Hatchlings are tiny, about 30-35 mm snout-vent length, and they are kept separately, as this species can be cannibalistic. They are kept in miniature terrariums mimicking those of the adults as for settings and temperatures. They are offered adequate size prey every day, and their tanks are sprayed a little more than those of the adults.

During breeding, males of multiple gecko species tend to cut back in diet. Their intentions of breeding are distracting them from their food. As you stated, the male does not look like he has lost weight. To give yourself a piece of mind, weigh your turners weekly- bi weekly.

Feel free to post on my board if there are ever additional questions.

-Lee

Last edited:

Visit our friends