1. Are you a Gecko enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Gecko enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your geckos and enclosures and have a great time with other Gecko enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Millipedes explosion!!

Discussion in 'Gecko Enclosures' started by jfenton954, Nov 25, 2014.

1. jfenton954

jfenton954 Hatchling Gecko 3 Year Member

Hi everyone!! Everything seems to explode in my tank lol first it was a grain mite explosion now it seems to be these millipedes.. Are they harmful? Also I don't see any more of my springtails do they eat them? Let me know what everybody thinks. Thanks.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416931542.264874.jpg
  2. jfenton954

Anybody here?
  3. acpart

acpart Gecko Grandparent 3 Year Member

I'm here, but I don't really know what to say. I'm generally a fan of leaving the "incidental flora and fauna" that show up in my gecko enclosures and keeping an eye on them to make sure everyone is OK, which is what I'd do in your position. You may also want to read up on millipedes to see if you learn anything that suggests they shouldn't stay in there.

Aliza
  4. Amanda1

Amanda1 Adult Gecko 3 Year Member

Millipedes are harmless, and will clean up feces and dead plant matter. I add them to my terrariums whenever I find them (from a clean, pesticide-free area). I'm not 100% sure that those are millipedes though; they don't look like mine. If they are centipedes, then I'd get rid of them, those suckers can bite. Also centipedes eat my millipedes, which makes me mad.
  5. jfenton954

Cool thanks guys. They are on the feces and dead leaves. Also on any dead Dubai roaches on the ground.
  6. jfenton954

I googled them and found that they are garden millipedes also non toxic. Thanks for your help guys!!
  7. Josh

Josh Administrator Staff Member 3 Year Member

Sounds like you got a free cleanup crew to take care of business!

Connect with other members!