Discoids hard to swallow?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
If you've picked up a discoid with your finger, you'll notice that the discoids are a lot harder shelled than the dubias. They seem to have a sharp edge too. Everytime my geckos eat a few of them, they need to "twitch" their head left and right several times to get the food down its throat. Anyone seen this happen too? I'm feeding 1.5 to 2 cm ones; maybe I need to use the smaller ones.

Although it seems to me that my geckos had difficulty swallowing the discoids, they'd never regurgitated and the roaches were digested very well. When they ate crickets, I often see cricket parts in their poo, but I'd never seen roach parts in their poo now.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
The only time I see my geckos do that with a discoid is when they are on the large side - when the width of the roach is the same or bigger than the width of the mouth. When you go a bit smaller then the width of the mouth, they don't do that unless they chow on several at once.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Ok, I think I need to feed them smaller ones. I need to slow down my discoids too, they're growing and reproducing too fast at the moment.

Visit our friends