Some recent S. FL finds...

F

FLVenom

With bright sunny skies today and very hot, I decided to take a trip out to one of my favorite herping spots. As usual, the spot produced quite a bit!

Dusky Pigmy Rattlesnake (Sistrurus m. barbouri)

Picture003Small.jpg

I got back in the truck and went about 100 yards down the road and found another..

Dusky Pigmy Rattlesnake (Sistrurus m. barbouri)

Picture012Small-1.jpg

Picture030Small.jpg

After finding quite a few Water snakes, Ribbon snakes, and a few Garter snakes I got back on the main road to head home. I was moving along at approx. 75 mph when I saw a young FL. Cottonmouth making his way on to the road. Like most crazy herpers, I jammed the brakes and turned around to safely get the snake off the road and saved it from almost certain death. This is one of the nicest Cottonmouths I have seen in this area.

Florida Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon p. Conanti)

Picture047Small.jpg

Picture058Small.jpg

robin

great finds i really like that first dusky, realy very prety thanks joe :)

Last edited:
J

Jedi Master Bruce

Neat stuff! Great fun! I feel happy for you. The environmental destruction of my home area of Tampa Bay is nearly complete. We used to find stuff everywhere in the 1970's.

M

Master KenobI

nice pics

Quite a productive spot you have there.
I hope to get out and go herpin soon.
have fun.:main_thumbsup:

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Greetings Master Kenobi. And may I say, you are looking marvelous! What is the secret to your great looks and longevity?

BalloonzForU

Sweet Pics! I love the cottonmouth.

I dont' ever remember coming across any of those growing up in south Florida, then again Miami isn't the best place to look either. I did catch a water mucosin when I was fishing once, that was not fun, scared the crap out me, I was about 10 at the time. It probably would scare me to catch one of those today too.

BalloonzForU

BalloonzForU said:
LOL Not Cottonmouth, read again, a water mucosin (sp?). Some how I snagged it with the hook.

Ok, now I really know I don't know my snakes!! Cottonmouth aka Water Moccasin & Trap Jaw! I guess even being a local I can't get it right. But I was taught as a kid that all black and very white mouth was a Cottonmouth, and the patterned one was a Water Moccasin, but they are one in the same. :confused:

Visit our friends