Best Method?

PrototypeGeckos

Hello Everyone, got a question. As you guys know from my introduction, I am getting into gecko breeding and I am adding geckos as much as possible and even though I do not have many now I want to start breeding my own mealworms and getting a systems going there so that when I have alot of geckos like you guys have, I will be breeding all of their food. I looked through the archives and didn't see what I was looking for. I wanted to know, what is the best method (i.e. housing, food, and system of moving the beetles to a different enclosure once they have formed so that they can breed) you guys have found to breed your own mealworms and produce the amount of mealworms you need. Thanks in advance.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
Shaun, here's a brief run-down of how I do it. I'm not saying it's the "right" way, but it works. lol

I keep the mealworms on Pro Gutload - 1. it's good stuff, and 2. it's easy to sift the worms, etc. out
I leave them there while they morph into pupae, and then put the beetles on a 1/4" of fresh gutload. (all of this is done at room temp.)
After the beetles have been on the gutload (I use carrots for water) for about a week, I sift out the beetles and put the gutload in a small food storage tub in a cage that stays around 85 degrees.
Usually I can see larvae after about 10 days, and I start giving them small sliced chunks of carrots.
After they reach about 1/2" in length, I move them back to larger tubs at room temp.

It's not feasible for me to produce as many mealworms as I need to feed all my geckos, but it keeps me from having to buy small mealworms for the hatchlings, and it's a good back-up in case I run out.
I hope that helps.

PrototypeGeckos

Thanks Paul, that is a great help, hopefully one day I will not be able to breed enough mealworms either, it would be nice to have that many geckos, but until then that should keep me in mealworms pretty good. Do the beetles go back into fresh gutload after that 10 days to breed again, or do they die off?

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
If there is a significant amount of beetles still alive after the 10 days, I'll put them on fresh gutload. However, the beetles don't live for very long. I'd guess that they only live about 2-3 weeks for me.

brandy101010

I pretty much do it the same way Paul does. Only I make my own gutload from Dog food, Fish food, oats, and some calcium. I mix it all in a blender untill it is almost like dirt. I give them potato and carrot for moisture and a shallow bowl of fresh greens. and whatever else I am feeding my beardies and iguana that day. I keep them in a three drawer rubbermaid container. Looks like a tiny dresser. I'm not sure exactly what they are called but I'm sure you have seen them before. I keep the mealworms in one drawer, the beetles in the second drawer and the pupae in the third drawer.
Good luck!

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
Here's the drawer unit I use for most of the mealworms. When I have a lot though, they end up in the Freedom Breeder rack. lol

Mealworm_Tower.jpg

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
Office Max. There's actually two units there, I just stacked them. They even came with casters!

Visit our friends