An Official Morph ID Thread?

T

Tainted Glory

I've searched this forum trying to learn about different morphs and dominant/recessive traits. Am I the only one that thinks it would be easier to have one thread to compile information, pictures, and misc notes about each morph?

marula

..i like the idea...we can put a complete illustrate morph guide in new calendar for some dollars moore :D
i think will be interesting...but is an hard work ....
...i think is interesting expecially the distinctions from different trait of albino (with eyes pics)...
..for dominant,recessive and co-dominant trait you can found a good section in ron tremper new book and you can have a good help from this forum!
a good genetic book also can help (the genetic is the same for everyting)
i have a book where i wright all i found around gecko's forums about genetic :D

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Great idea, although it might be a task... I am going to move this thread over to the Suggestions Forum and see what kind of response you get!

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
There are certainly more than enough of us who have great examples of most (if not all) of the morphs that are out there. The trick is, getting everyone to agree on a common definition!

BalloonzForU

Grinning Geckos said:
The trick is, getting everyone to agree on a common definition!

The known recessives are easy enough, it's when you get down to the line bred traights that gets tricky. This is a great idea, would love for it to happen where everyone is happy with the definitions.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I agree with Felie, espessially with hypo to super hypo and the grades of snow, if people even want grades of snow!. Carrot tail is another one. How much of a percent is allowed for it to be counted as carrot tail? Some people see carrot tail in 1% amount and call it carrot tail. Some want 15, some want 25. It can be sooo confusing! :)

BalloonzForU

I think that if the definitions can be made with a small range, that most people can agree with than that would be good. If we can all agree to respect everyone's opinion to the degree of what constitutes, a CT for example, and realize this is more a rule of thumb and not the LAW, we can do this. Maybe taking polls on percentages/spots/stripes/color would help get this done. Even voting on a particular animal's picture to represent the morph. If need be the picture or definitions can be updated as we raise the bar/standard, since each morph through the years are/will become nicer and nicer.

Example of Range: Carrot tail must be unbroken carrotting of 15-25%, starting at the base of the tail.

Sandra

I've been trying to make a leopard gecko morph dossier for a friend's herp website and I didn't want it to end like the classic leo morph guide -'Yeah, this is an albino, this is a patternless, this is a blizzard, and there are orange geckos. The end'- so I've been doing research on the morphs that I don't know very well (that's how I found these forums).

I think I started like one year ago and due to my innate laziness, the complexity of this topic and the fact that people seem to discover/cross/re-classify morphs every minute, I haven't completed even half of it :(

I solved the description issue stating any opinion I could remember (that I found somewhat reasonable). E.g: 'Carrot tail' designates a gecko with some amount of orange pigment in his tail, tipically located at the base and spreading down the tail. Some people think that a gecko must have 15%-25%of unbroken carroting to be considered a carrot tail.

As for the pictures, I made schematic drawings of every morph. It looks clearlier than a picture and you won't have problems about finding the photograph you think could represent that morph better, or dealing with the person who took it. It's other option to bear in mind

LeosForLess

I sort of started a "mega morph guide". I thought there were only like 20 odd morphs, but theres like 10 different normal variations alone! www.leosforless.tk , its under mega morph guide

BalloonzForU

lol Now Way! lol

I have seen some people post pics with the tail having a small band go right across the tail about 25% away from the base and say it's a Carrot Tail. LOL

brandy101010

I have some geckos that have it at the base of the tail and then it stops with some white then continues further down the tail. What the heck would you call that!? LOL Broken carrot tail?

LeosForLess

I think we should have a min and a max for each gecko. Like a bell hybino, could be a 10% ct and yellow for mine and a 70% CT and bright orange for max.

LeosForLess

CTLG03-70-4.jpg

and i think this is the most CT

LeosForLess

Yeah because there arent really any 100% rainwaters out there. It could be updated everytime a nicer gecko is hatched.

IMacBevan

I think it is a great idea. I do think the most difficult thing about it will be generating the definitions of each morph, even if it recessive (search for the thread we had going for a while about whether the blizzard was a true leucistic or not in the morph forum). I think there also needs to be a range of pictures of each morph. I'd be interested in being involved.

Ian

Visit our friends