1. Are you a Gecko enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Gecko enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your geckos and enclosures and have a great time with other Gecko enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rescued a Leo that only eats wax worms!

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos - Eublepharis' started by octanejunkie, Jul 9, 2018.

1. octanejunkie

octanejunkie Gecko Egg

Obviously, that needs to change.

Raised by a high school girl since she was in third grade, Hyper the leopard gecko, has been somewhat neglected (she got bored with him) and he became very anti social, but he's very friendly and tame.

Hyper welcomes contact and licks a lot. He never objects to being handled but the he has lost most of his claws, and the tips of all his front toes, probably due to shedding issues, so he's not an adroit climber.

We have had him for 2 weeks but have not gotten him to eat, anything yet, but his previous owners said he would only eat wax worms. His head and tail are wide and fat, but his body seems dwarfed compared to his head and tail. He drinks water so I'm not concerned for his health yet, but we need to get him to eat soon. His scat is tiny.

His cage was dismal with a single hide and a heat lamp so we updated it to 2 hides (bot and cold) and put some features in until we get a 20 long built for him.

Here's a few pics
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  2. acpart

acpart Gecko Grandparent 3 Year Member

He looks pretty good. Try a few large crickets --he may enjoy the chase. I have had leopard geckos that haven't eaten for months, and while that's not ideal, they do what they do. He has some good weight on him. Try some feeders (not waxworms) and wait him out. He'll eat something eventually.

Aliza
    octanejunkie likes this.