Interested in another species

D

DontShootMe

I was interested in owning another gecko species. What I'd really like to do is set up a nice natural habitat in my 46 gallon bow tank of a tropical or forest type gecko. But, I'd also like a gecko I can handle so far the best idea is the crested gecko. Was thinking what other kind of geckos can I keep in a tropical type enviroment. I also seem to like the viper gecko any knowledge on that? I couldn't find alot of information about them. How is their temperament. I don't want geckos like tokays or even phelsuma's. Something more slow paced and non aggressive.

KelliH

Cresteds would be ideal to start with. Actually any of the Rahcodactylus would be. Another one you may think about is the Henkel's leaf tail gecko, Uroplatus henkeli. That was one of the first species I ever kept after leos, and I found them to be quite hardy as long as their basic needs are met. They do need to be misted daily. Short handling periods are fine, and they get pretty big.

I've never kept viper geckos, but I believe they are a more terrestrial type gecko and also the are really small.

I have kept both Tokays and Phelsuma and both are flighty and inclined to bite (especially the Tokays!).

I really think your best bet would be to start with cresteds, and if you really like them alot, move into some of the other Rhac species.

D

dakman

Goden geckos are pretty cool and would fit that set up well. I have one currently and although they are from the Tokay family they don't have Tokay traits. You can reach in and pet him, pick him up and hand feed and he never shows any aggression.

D

DontShootMe

Yeah I actually had some Golden geckos quite a while ago. They don't really appeal to my eye being that they look like an larger basic gecko look. I kind of like the unique look. I'd be interested into looking into the rhac family. I also don't want to spend tons of money on geckos and something that fits into my budget. Also I know it's not good to but would it be wrong to interact gecko species from similar habitats like lets say the leaftail and the crested?

KelliH

Also I know it's not good to but would it be wrong to interact gecko species from similar habitats like lets say the leaftail and the crested?

I don't think it is a good idea for the hobbyiest to mix gecko species. Even though outwardly both cresteds and leaf tails seem to have very similar captive requirements, they are actualy quite different. I would say pick one to start with (I still vote crested), and later on move up to something a bit more challenging, carewise.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Not to mention Uroplatus (leaftails) are from Madagascar and Rhac species are from New Caledonia, so Probably not the best idea like Kelli said :)

D

DontShootMe

What species would I be able to mix with a crested like maybe something terrestial in the same enviroment.

D

dakman

wouldn't be a good idea to mix species unless your a expert and have a very large as in huge set up and know the exact needs of each. Lots of things to consider to be successful. I'd stick with a group of the same species.

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
I can definitley recommend any Rhacodactylus species. They are all pretty calm and have relatively easy care requirements (easier than leos anyway). Although if you're really looking for something different then you have to love the satanic leaf-tail... hehe

Visit our friends