seeing a reddish substence

N

newbreeder1

I bred one of myvirgin males to my virgin female and everything went fine. The next day we bred them again and when we took her out of the breeding tank we noticed a red blood like substance on the paper towel underneath the male( a little bigger than the size of a quarter). We looked at both the male and female and neither had anything wrong with tthem or any cuts ect. i was wondering if there was something wrong with my male or if maybe he "missed" and his ejaculation was red. please help I don't know what to do and don't want to breed either one until we find out what is worng.

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Wow, that's wierd!!?? If anyone knows what's going on here, reply, I'm sure that we'd all be intirested to hear about it!

B

Brian O

That sounds like a bad breeding experience. I would give him some time off to heal and observe his health. I have had it happen and sucessfuly studded the male after a break from his duties. Just don't push him or you could risk a prolapse. Also give him a soak for the next couple of days. It can also be a dehidration issue.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Good call, Brian... I have seen males bleed from their hemipenis from incomplete and/or prolapses during breeding. I would sepearte him and keep him on papaer towel for awhile before another breeding attempt.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I have also witnessed bleeding during or following prolapse. Careful with him. Make sure to check his underside daily in case his "junk" decides to fall out ;)

Visit our friends