sunglows

boutiquegecko

This might be a stupid question, but what is a sunglow? Or what is the difference between an sunglow and hybino? What separates the two? Carroting? Bloodline? Type of albino?

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
A Sunglow is the same as a Hybino, just some persons way of "Marketing"

When people post their pictures, it should say Tremper Sunglow, or Tremper Hybino, etc. I see a lot of ads that just say "Sunglow" so I think that some people are just assuming that if it is a Tremper, that it is a Sunglow

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
Jeanne said:
A Sunglow is the same as a Hybino, just some persons way of "Marketing"

When people post their pictures, it should say Tremper Sunglow, or Tremper Hybino, etc. I see a lot of ads that just say "Sunglow" so I think that some people are just assuming that if it is a Tremper, that it is a Sunglow

Jeanne,
Good point. A lot of "marketing" ideas are responsible for a bunch of morph names which often makes it confusing to the average person who doesn't follow these things like a hawk. There are people who hatch Rainwater (aka Las Vegas) Hybinos and call them Las Vegas Sunglows, when in fact, the person who coined the term Sunglows was using only Tremper strain Albinos. I am not saying that they are doing anything wrong, unless you consider using someone else's coined phrase for a different bloodline a major crime. It would be so much easier, however, if people just used Hybino along with the name of the Albino strain, but we all know how "boring" that would be in terms of marketing. Therefore, I don't think people will stop creating names that sound cool for every variation or new spinoff of an existing morph because they can sell more geckos that way.

boutiquegecko

Ok, so if they're the same why do we call them 2 different names? Does the person who started calling them Sunglows have to ok it for all the albino lines? It can be confusing. And if they are the same, why would you specify either TS or TH under a photo? What do we breeders of Rainwaters and Bells call them? Hybinos or Sunglows? I was thinking maybe they had to be baldy, have carroting or be super orange or something to separate the two.
I was thinking this was like all the different names that are popping up with the intense hypo tangs our there, but those are line bred correct? I mean you breed an electric tang line with a torpedo line you're going to get a ???? what would you call it? Just an example for comparison, not knocking the awesome job on those intense tangs out there that people are lucky enough to hatch out.

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
Again, it's all marketing. People want to sell geckos, so they create an exciting colorful name that they find befitting such an extraordinary morph of leopard gecko. A Bell Hybino isn't the same as a Rainwater Hybino or a Tremper Hybino because the actual strain of albinism at work is different, however, a person decided to call the Tremper Hybinos "Sunglows" for marketing purposes and that's why there is confusion with some people regarding the type of Hybino they are looking at. Tangerines by any name are just Tangerines and people can call them Tornadoes or Electrics or whatever they want to try to describe the intensity of the color, but the only difference between one and the next is the intensity of the line bred trait on that particular gecko. They may say they are from a different Breeder's bloodline, or whatever, but they are esssentially the same as it can be line bred or outcrossed. Some people are just further along in their line breeding than others, and that's why their specimens look better.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I'm starting to think that all leo morphs should just be reduced to acronyms! I mean, if we differentiate between a SHTCT, a TCT, a SHT, etc., why not just use those letters and add an albino to the end? "Hybinos" can vary in terms of SHT, CT, bald-ness, etc., so why not SHTCTB-BA for a killer Bell Hybino?

...okay, maybe I'm just trying to use smaller fields in Excel for recording morph names. lol :whip:

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
We can take it one step further and have 3 catagories...

non-bling
bling
super-bling

Not a bad idea for your own use Paul, but seeing all those letters makes my head spin.

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
I am going to create a new line and call it the Frank's Geckos "SHIZNIT" Line of Leopard Geckos..... I just can't think of anything for the Z to stand for....

boutiquegecko

Oh now I'm trying to hatch out some of those bad boys Paul. I think Kelli has some on her websight and they're lookers. Those acronyms can get long though so I agree with the....
non bling
bling
super bling
even though the acronyms do make more sense.
What do you get breeding hybinos together? Super hybinos? I'm thinking a percent of albinos and hybinos???

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
boutiquegecko said:
Oh now I'm trying to hatch out some of those bad boys Paul. I think Kelli has some on her websight and they're lookers. Those acronyms can get long though so I agree with the....
non bling
bling
super bling
even though the acronyms do make more sense.
What do you get breeding hybinos together? Super hybinos? I'm thinking a percent of albinos and hybinos???

Well since a hybino is an albino with some hypo genes thrown in, all of the babies (assuming that the hybinos are the same type of albino) would at least be albino but the amount/degree of hypo can vary just like if you were to breed two non-albino hypos together. In other words, you'd get albinos with varying degrees of bling. lol

S

Sarah H

PaulSage said:
I'm starting to think that all leo morphs should just be reduced to acronyms! I mean, if we differentiate between a SHTCT, a TCT, a SHT, etc., why not just use those letters and add an albino to the end? "Hybinos" can vary in terms of SHT, CT, bald-ness, etc., so why not SHTCTB-BA for a killer Bell Hybino?

...okay, maybe I'm just trying to use smaller fields in Excel for recording morph names. lol :whip:

I like that idea, sort of more easy to explain as well.:main_thumbsup:

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I agree with Paul. For example I have what I consider a Hypo Bell Albino does that make it a Hybino? As far as I'm concerned, no. I think a leo has to be at least Super Hypo to be a Hybino.

C

chad e

i believe, first off, that any hypo and albino leopard gecko, regardless of which strain of albino it is, is a hybino given that the hypo morph is the result of a single allelle mutation as opposed to a polygenic or line bred trait. one that is albino and hypomelanistic in appearance but lacks the ray hines 'ghost' hypo gene is a super-tangerine albino.

the term 'hybino' is far older than when Ray Hines crossed his hypos with tremper albinos. but in cornsnakes and bcc they are called 'sunglows' because they are so orange. i'd imagine the term 'sunglow' originated in corn snakes but thats just a guess.

hybinos come in yellow. much like ray hines hypos do. its really not until you've added intense tangerine coloration to your lines that you should call them sunglows in my opinion. its like, you can call any sunglow a hybino but you can't call any hybino a sunglow. but once again, thats just my opinion.

boutiquegecko

Chad, so you're saying that if the animal is completely solid it would be hybino, but if not then just super tangerine albino or hypo albino if more yellow? And if solid with the tang then Sunglow? Therefore the completely solid tang hybinos out there could really be called Sunglows if they wanted to or does it have to be from RH line of hypos? Did I follow that right, it's early for me and I don't know if I'm grasping that.

C

chad e

to be a hybino it must have the ray hines hypo gene. that is, until another strain of hypo surfaces that isn't linebred.

as far as i'm concerned, if an animal is phenotypically expressing the ray hines hypo gene and any strain of albino, it is a hybino. weather its carrying one copy of the hypo gene or not.

the only discernable difference between a sunglow and a hybino is the addition of the tangerine coloration.

i feel that any albino that has solid color in its body is either a hybino or a super-tangerine. thats really up to you to figure out weather or not the hypo your working with is linebred or genetic. as far as a hypo albino, thats a hybino. hy-bino just means hypo-albino.

boutiquegecko

How do I find out for sure if my tangs have hines line? They're Masterpiece geckos super hypo tangs. Does anyone know if they use that hypo line? Or have intorduced it into thier hypos? How do I find out if it's genetic or not otherwise?

C

chad e

How do I find out for sure if my tangs have hines line? They're Masterpiece geckos super hypo tangs.

the first thing i would do is ask masterpiece geckos since they should know what they sold you. if they're not sure, you would than have to prove it out as being Ray Hines hypo. to do that you would need to cross it to something like a normal and take note as to how the progeny of that crossing comes out. its really not that easy to tell them apart but you'd have the best luck crossing them with a heavily spotted normal i would think.

boutiquegecko

It all makes more sense. Though I just found some bell sunglows someone had listed, so I guess sunglow is going to be attached after all perhaps???

Visit our friends