Supplement scheduling and brands

M

maximum

I'm trying to get a good idea of how often I will need to supplement my gecko(s) with vitamins and calcium/D3. It seems that there is not a good consensus on this... :dizzy2:

So, how often do you all dust your insects with vitamin powder? With calcium/D3 powder?

Also, do you offer a calcium/D3 dish for licking? If so, how often do you offer it?

Sorry for so many questions, I just wanna do this right. Thanks!!! :D

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Max, I supplement my laying females with calcium every other feeding, and vitamins/calcium D3 weekly. I leave a small lid full of calcium down all the time.

W

Welsh

GGG; do what kind of information do you supply with purchase at the expo? Do you have a feeding schedule for the gecko? Im just curious because I saw someone offer it, and wondered what type of information you offer.

I will probably buy from you whether or not this is the case anyway! :)

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Brendan, California law requires that I provide a care sheet for every animal sold. You are asking some really good questions, so maybe I need to update mine!

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Wow, that was a little off topic guys!!! lol

Maximum: Here's our feeding schedule in a nutshell:
Always - leave a bowl of undusted meals
Always - Calcium (D3) dish for licking
Every-other-day - Feed dusted crickets

Everyone has their own way of doing it, (we're all partial to our own way), and no one is any more "right" than any one else. This is just a suggestion! Good Luck!!

W

Welsh

Golden Gate Geckos said:
Brendan, California law requires that I provide a care sheet for every animal sold. You are asking some really good questions, so maybe I need to update mine!
Awesome. I was unaware of that law. I was just curious because I was reading all the information on Dr Gecko's website about Selecting A Leopard Gecko. More specifically I questioned you about that because I read the article Questions To Ask The Seller. Expect me to ask you these questions at the Convention. :D

I try to learn as much as I can before I get something. It's a smart choice in the end.

Sorry about that rant, now back to the topic at hand. (Sorry gko reptiles) When I get my Leopard Gecko on September 10th or 11th, I plan to feed/supplement it in the following way:
As a hatchling I will be giving it Vionate with their mealworms until they're about 6 months old. Then it will be given Rep-Cal without vitamin D3. 2-3 times a month I will use the multivitamin Herptivite and also Rep-Cal with vitamin D3.

This is the exact same method Ryan of RyVal Geckos uses, as seen on Ryan and Val's page,
Information about supplements.
I quoted exactly what he has at the bottom of the page, with the exception that I changed the view to 1st person in my statement. It seems to be the best supplementation schedule I have looked through.

Im not completly sure when I will be feeding my Leopard Gecko at this time. In fact, I am not even 100% sure I will even be supplementing them the way I stated I will, nor am I sure that those are the supplements I am going to use.

It all depends on the way Marcia feeds and supplements her Leopard Geckos, because they are comfortable being fed in that way.

Thanks,
Welsh

Last edited by a moderator:

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Welsh said:
Awesome. I was unaware of that law. I was just curious because I was reading all the information on Dr Gecko's website about Selecting A Leopard Gecko. More specifically I questioned you about that because I read the article Questions To Ask The Seller. Expect me to ask you these questions at the Convention. :D

I try to learn as much as I can before I get something. It's a smart choice in the end.

Sorry about that rant, now back to the topic at hand. (Sorry gko reptiles) When I get my Leopard Gecko on September 10th or 11th, I plan to feed/supplement it in the following way:
As a hatchling I will be giving it Vionate with their mealworms until they're about 6 months old. Then it will be given Rep-Cal without vitamin D3. 2-3 times a month I will use the multivitamin Herptivite and also Rep-Cal with vitamin D3.

This is the exact same method Ryan of RyVal Geckos uses, as seen on Ryan and Val's page,
Information about supplements.
I quoted exactly what he has at the bottom of the page, with the exception that I changed the view to 1st person in my statement. It seems to be the best supplementation schedule I have looked through.

Im not completly sure when I will be feeding my Leopard Gecko at this time. In fact, I am not even 100% sure I will even be supplementing them the way I stated I will, nor am I sure that those are the supplements I am going to use.

It all depends on the way Marcia feeds and supplements her Leopard Geckos, because they are comfortable being fed in that way.

Thanks,
Welsh

Hey Welsh! Last time you set up a thread asking for info from breeders, I gave you my AIM screenname so that we could communicate in real time. As I said to you there, you asked how we feed our leos. This is how we feed ours. If it doesn't work for you, that's okay; there are a lot of different ways to feed leos and keep them healthy. Also keep in mind that you will be feeding 1 or 2 leos. Right now, I'm feeding 116. :)

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Welsh said:
That's great! I wish more people would do their homework prior to making a commitment on purchsing a new pet. Too many time we deal with impluse buying which leads to unhealthy and unwanted pets.

GKO Reptiles said:
If it doesn't work for you, that's okay; there are a lot of different ways to feed leos and keep them healthy.
This is true... we will always see different and sometimes even conflicting information. It's important to remember that when researching, most of what you read is what works for that individual reptile keeper/breeder. In the long run the more info you obtain, you can make better, more informed decisions.

Visit our friends