fedEx package size

G

geckogod2

Whats the best size box to get the best price for shipping geckos using Fed Ex. I remember reading on another forum somewhere that through fed ex a certain box size was eligible for for prepaid labels (i think they were around $25-$30 or so), but the labels had to be bought in blocks of 10. can anyone point me in the right direction?

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Ive not heard of fed x doing the prepaid, UPS does but in larger qty and dhl used to maybe still does in 10 or more.

For Fed x the box really needs to be 11x9x6 for a decent price of on average $45. I can send a 6x6x6 for $29-35 but that only holds 2 leos. For moe than that I have boxes that are 11x9x12 that can be folded down to 11x9x6 or whatever I need for the amount of leos. And I cut my styro.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
If you have an account with FedEx set up online, you can get shipping quotes on different weights/sizes of boxes. It's under Ship -> Get rates & transit times. You could just pick a zip code and then put in different dimensions for boxes to find out how much (approximately) each would cost going to that zip code.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Keep in mind that all the shippers charge for dimensional weight, not always the actual weight. In other words, they charge the amount that a particular box should weigh since it is taking up their precious cargo space. Here is a direct quote from Fed Ex's TOS with the dimensional weigh calculation:

Dimensional Weight

FedEx Express may assess shipping charges based on the International Air Transport Association (IATA) volumetric standard. Dimensional weight is calculated by multiplying the length by width by height of each package in inches and dividing the total by 194 (for U.S. shipments and shipments between the U.S. and Puerto Rico) or 166 (for international shipments). If the dimensional weight exceeds the actual weight, charges may be assessed based on the dimensional weight. Dimensions of one-half inch or greater are rounded up to the next whole number; dimensions less than one-half inch are rounded down. The final calculation is rounded up to the next whole pound.

Dimensional weight applies on a per-package or per-shipment basis to all U.S. shipments in customer packaging, and on a per-shipment basis to all international shipments and U.S.-Puerto Rico shipments in customer packaging. Shipments in FedEx packaging may also be subject to dimensional-weight pricing."

So, measure the box L" x W" x H" then divide the total by 194. That will be the 'dimensional' weight they will charge you for.

Visit our friends