More gabinos....

Gregg M

Registered Member
The two brightly colored individuals on the bottom are F2 gabinos and the one on the top is one of my 3rd generation offsping for comparison...

2267.jpg

M

mustangrde1

Um Gregg looks like a little Rhino in one of those is it?

Gregg M

Registered Member
ExcessiveHerps said:
Gregg I thought you felt very strongly on hybrids being something that shouldn't be done?

When it is an un-natural cross or a cross that would otherwise never happen, I am totally against it....

The thing is, gaboon rhino crosses are a very natural and common cross where their range overlaps in the wild.... There are even small established population pockets in some parts of Africa.... And a good thing about this cross is that it has been proven to be fertile...There are many that are imported into this and other Countries every year... Some less obvious ones are just labeled as "Pretty" or "different" looking rhinos but a trained eye can pick a cross out a mile away....

But show me a woma carpet cross and I will throw up.... What a joke.... Out of 20 some odd eggs, only4 or 5 lived... That should tell you something right there.... Not to mention one has heat pits and the other does not.... I really hate those damn king corn crosses.... Dont get me started on burmXretics a.k.a. "bat eaters".... That is another cross with a very low hatch rate.... I think someone even crossed a gargoyle with a crestie if I am not mistaken... I am not too sure if that would be a natural cross where their ranges overlap though... So I have not real opinion on that yet....

So yes, it is something I feel should not be done in captivity if it is something that will never happen in the wild populations...

Last edited:

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
Gregg M said:
When it is an un-natural cross or a cross that would otherwise never happen, I am totally against it....

The thing is, gaboon rhino crosses are a very natural and common cross where their range overlaps in the wild.... There are even small established population pockets in some parts of Africa.... And a good thing about this cross is that it has been proven to be fertile...There are many that are imported into this and other Countries every year... Some less obvious ones are just labeled as "Pretty" or "different" looking rhinos but a trained eye can pick a cross out a mile away....

But show me a woma carpet cross and I will throw up.... What a joke.... Out of 20 some odd eggs, only4 or 5 lived... That should tell you something right there.... Not to mention one has heat pits and the other does not.... I really hate those damn king corn crosses.... Dont get me started on burmXretics a.k.a. "bat eaters".... That is another cross with a very low hatch rate.... I think someone even crossed a gargoyle with a crestie if I am not mistaken... I am not too sure if that would be a natural cross where their ranges overlap though... So I have not real opinion on that yet....

So yes, it is something I feel should not be done in captivity if it is something that will never happen in the wild populations...

Thanks for answering my question and I can totally undertstand you views on that matter.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Gregg M said:
I think someone even crossed a gargoyle with a crestie if I am not mistaken...

There are some people on Pangea forums that are crossing Cresteds and Leachies. Not sure about crossing with a Gargoyle

Gorgeous Gaboons! I really wish they weren't venomous, I would love a pair

Visit our friends