• Are you a Gecko enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Gecko enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your geckos and enclosures and have a great time with other Gecko enthusiasts. Sign up today!

URGENT!

Tiera Allen

Gecko Egg
One and only one out of four fat tail leos is going anorexic on me! It's been three or more days since she's eaten, she just sleeps, she's lost weight and only drinks water occasionally.... She didn't even want to take off all her shedded skin I had to help her, she's so lethargic to the point where I can put her completely upside down with no struggle at all! I'm really worried about her... we calcium up everything they eat and drink we've changed the soils out and it stays warm in the tank I don't know what to do!

Tiera Allen

Gecko Egg
IT AMAZES ME THAT A)13 VIEWS ON THIS AND B) NOT ONE DAMN RESPONSE!
IF YOU CARE: She ate one meal worm and licked the calcium, it's been a week and finally she's eating something, I don't care if it's 1 or 100000 she ate!

Star

Adult Gecko
Have you tried different types of food? If nothing else, try a gecko slurry- crushed gut-loaded insects, vitamins, calcium, and unflavored pedialite. I've fed this to a couple of my leos when they weren't eating. I've also heard that you can use chicken baby food but some people say not to. I feel like as long as it's eating something it's better than nothing. Sorry you haven't gotten more help. Also try soaking her in pedialite. It helps them stay hydrated.

Tiera Allen

Gecko Egg
Thank you for finally getting in touch with me! She has gotten pretty close to normal. It's weird a couple of days ago she was on the verge of death and all the sudden she's eating a bunch! We switched from mealworms to waxworms which all four seem to love! She is also about to shed again, so I'm thinking another week in isolation and if she continues to be all healthy I'm going to move her back from the 5 gal to the 20 gal! I'm very relieved!

Star

Adult Gecko
I'm glad to hear she's eating again, but make sure to give her more than just wax worms- they aren't healthy for them to eat long term. It's like a human eating McDonalds for every meal.

Darkmaster743

Staff member
3 Year Member
Sorry for not being here to respond, Been so busy with High school. Though I second every one else's advice, Minimum you should be dusting the Wax Worms as they contain no nutrition will become a problem if she gets addicted to eating those only. Feed them in moderation, and try to get your gecko back on Mealies. I would mix the diet up. Some times a gecko can stop eating just because of Dehydration. A lizard of mine named Neo got sick recently because of a prolapse that started to dry out, and I made sure to get water in to him every day. Within a week he was so sick of Vitamin Water he went back to eating solid food. If you need tips on how to Syringe feed look at some Older Gecko talk posts, and Check youtube. Really sorry about the non - responses. This forum is MUCH more active in the Summer. Thank you Star, and Ac for helping while I was gone!

CourtneyZach

Adult Gecko
3 Year Member
If you feed geckos one type of food all the time I truly find that they get bored. I had this problem, my little guy I always fed him mealies which I knew was bad but I just hate crickets they freak me out haha. But anyways, he's gotten really bored of them and doesn't like when they just sit in his bowl. If I let them run around he eats them and I am buying some crickets tomorrow because crickets are a better stable diet for geckos. I will suck it up :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Agreed, Courtney. Variation is best. It's better for their health in general but also so much better for when you run out of one food supply. Or if the store is out of crickets (does that ever happen?!) or whatever. Variety is a good thing! :)

Amanda1

Adult Gecko
3 Year Member
The Petsmart I shop at is out of crickets all the time. See if you can get some dubia roaches. They are so much better than crickets imo, and my little leo loves them.

Darkmaster743

Staff member
3 Year Member
If you feed geckos one type of food all the time I truly find that they get bored. I had this problem, my little guy I always fed him mealies which I knew was bad but I just hate crickets they freak me out haha. But anyways, he's gotten really bored of them and doesn't like when they just sit in his bowl. If I let them run around he eats them and I am buying some crickets tomorrow because crickets are a better stable diet for geckos. I will suck it up :)
It's been a while Courtney, Hows Zeus? :G:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Oooooo lucky! Got any photos you can share with us?? I've always wanted to go there!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Ahhh machu Picchu!!!! So jealous!! What cute kids! Were you teaching English?

CourtneyZach

Adult Gecko
3 Year Member
It was so pretty!!! Best place ever!! Thanks Josh! :) We did this awesome hike there. :) Yes they are so cute! I love them. Yeah I was teaching english! They taught me a lot of spanish too! Haha it was a really cool experience :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Still jealous today!
I would love to teach English to kids like that. But more than that I would love to learn more Spanish. Last year I spent 10 days in Panama and my Spanish improved so much. I just don't use it here at home so it's hard to hold on to it.

Darkmaster743

Staff member
3 Year Member
Wow, Thats so cool! Sounds like you had a good time, I think your our first teacher here on Gecko Talk.