1. Are you a Gecko enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Gecko enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your geckos and enclosures and have a great time with other Gecko enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

What should I do or change?

Discussion in 'Gecko Enclosures' started by K.Ray, Apr 2, 2018.

1. K.Ray

K.Ray Gecko Egg

I recently acquired a Leopard gecko from a friend. She had a single hide, a water dish, a calcium dish, and paper towel substrate on a 10g aquarium. After some research I made her a new home. I know I still have a few things to improve on but would love some input. The 1st pic is when I first put together the new 36x12x12 aquarium for her. I've been making adjustments for her lime getting rid of heat bulbs. First I put in a uth heater but she quit going to the warm side. I figured it must be burning her little belly so I switched to a ceramic 100w heat emitter. She seems much happier. In the first pic I had a tree for her to climb in the middle but she never used it and it took up so much space I removed it. Then I noticed she never used her cold hide so I moved it to the middle and she's been utilizing it more. What, if anything, am I missing or can do to make her more comfortable and her home more fun for her? She climbs up and down on the hides so she does like that. I had a ceramic tile under the cold hide but removed it when I moved it and she likes it better. Please help with any suggestions. Thank u

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
  2. K.Ray

K.Ray Gecko Egg

Sorry forgot the pics[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. K.Ray

K.Ray Gecko Egg

I recently acquired a Leopard gecko from a friend. She had a single hide, a water dish, a calcium dish, and paper towel substrate on a 10g aquarium. After some research I made her a new home. I know I still have a few things to improve on but would love some input. The 1st pic is when I first put together the new 36x12x12 aquarium for her. I've been making adjustments for her lime getting rid of heat bulbs. First I put in a uth heater but she quit going to the warm side. I figured it must be burning her little belly so I switched to a ceramic 100w heat emitter. She seems much happier. In the first pic I had a tree for her to climb in the middle but she never used it and it took up so much space I removed it. Then I noticed she never used her cold hide so I moved it to the middle and she's been utilizing it more. What, if anything, am I missing or can do to make her more comfortable and her home more fun for her? She climbs up and down on the hides so she does like that. I had a ceramic tile under the cold hide but removed it when I moved it and she likes it better. Please help with any suggestions. Thank u

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hannahsammeli likes this.
  4. ripred9

ripred9 Gecko Egg

So from what I know, you want to add at least another hide. Ideally you would like to have a warm hide, a cold hide, and a moist hide.
    As for the temperatures and lighting, you want the warm side to be high 80’s and the cool side to be on the lower 70’s? And I would try using the under tank heater with a thermostat (the temperature controller, not the reader) to make sure the warm side isn’t too hot. I would get a heat gun or maybe something with a probe so you can take measurements of different locations in the tank.
    Also- congrats on getting her! And remember I’m just one opinion, and sure I missed a whole lot of information.
    Hannahsammeli and K.Ray like this.
  5. K.Ray

K.Ray Gecko Egg

Ok. So moist hide, and uth with a thermostat, I've got a digital thermostat on the way. Should be her within a week or 2. In the meantime I've been using a digital. Thanks for ur input!

Hannahsammeli and ripred9 like this.
  6. acpart

acpart Gecko Grandparent 3 Year Member

I like the idea of a UTH with a thermostat too, as it may have been too hot for her before. I feel the CHE tends to dry out the air too much. Low 90's on the hot side on the floor; don't worry that much about the air temp.

Aliza
    K.Ray and Hannahsammeli like this.
  7. Hannahsammeli

Hannahsammeli Gecko Egg

All the above comments... congrats on your new family member! Another little tip, make sure the bugs your feeding your little guy are healthy themselves and you supplement them with calcium with D3 and multivitamins... I have a 5% uvb above my tank so I use repashy “calcium plus” for an all in one supplement for every feeding. Enjoy your Leo journey!! ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. K.Ray

K.Ray Gecko Egg

Does the calcium plus also have the D3 and vitamins? I keep a bowl of calcium in her home. The previous owner said she would go to it when she needs it

9. Hannahsammeli

Hannahsammeli Gecko Egg

There are a LOT of different calcium and vitamin supplements on the market.. you just need to make sure you have a balance of calcium with D3 and a multivitamin... the Repashy brand has a calcium plus vitamin. I just use this for my supplements. It has all the things in one... the only thing I’d be worried about using this all in one supplement is you’ll want to make sure you have a uvb bulb. To make sure the little guy has enough D3. This supplement doesn’t have a lot in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    K.Ray likes this.

Connect with other members!