1. Are you a Gecko enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Gecko enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your geckos and enclosures and have a great time with other Gecko enthusiasts. Sign up today!
    Dismiss Notice

when can i put sand in with my gecko

Discussion in 'Gecko Enclosures' started by Tom, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Tom

Tom Gecko Egg

my leppy is a few inches long and i was wondering when a good age/length would be good to use sand instead of eco carpet
  2. Tom

Tom Gecko Egg

leppy is my geckos name
  3. Tongue Flicker

Tongue Flicker Hatchling Gecko

Sand is not advisable to use due to impaction and other health issues as proven many times in the past.

Youngsters like yours are usually best kept with moist paper towel as youngsters are more prone to licking and eating the substrate
  4. Maximumsubzero

Maximumsubzero Gecko Egg

I agree sand is never a good option. But playing the devils advocate, leopard geckos along with bearded dragons ate commonly mistaken to live in a sandy(desert like) biome, when really its a mixture of compacted dirt, clay and sand. Another thing to keep in mind is weather you feed them within the enclosure or a separate container. For me personally and just my opinion, whatever the substrate I always take my reptiles out and feed them in a separate container so there's no chance of accidental ingestion.